Botanic Garden, St Andrews
- About Botanic Garden, St Andrews
- Opening Hours
- Disabled Access
- Holidays and Closures
- Related Publications
- Related Events
Come and enjoy a beautiful garden, recently awarded 4 stars by Visit Scotland!
The first Botanic Garden in St. Andrews dates from 1889, when Dr. John Wilson laid out beds for plants for university teaching and research purposes, in a quarter of an acre of walled garden just south of St, Mary's College in South Street. 1960 saw the move to the present site at Bassaguard. (The name is derived from Gaelic, "farm of priests".)
There are almost 7 hectares, impressively landscaped. The design, and the wide range of plants grown here have won international recognition. Here, beauty, horticulture and botany meet. Interpretation boards help to explain the scientific interest in the garden.
You can stroll by sheltered paths through large plantings of trees and shrubs; enjoy the ponds, waterfall, the rock garden and the peat garden.
The glasshouses are used for growing plants which would not otherwise flourish in the St. Andrews climate. These include plants from warmer regions such as South East Asia.
Whatever the weather, or season, there are always plants in flower and attractive foliage to be seen both under glass and in the open.
The Botanic Gardens is a member of RHS Partner Gardens
Publications available at the Botanic Garden:
St Andrews Botanic Garden Education Trust Ltd
This is a voluntary Charitable Trust formed in Partnership between Fife Council, University of St Andrews and The Friends of St Andrews Botanic Garden. Its aim is to promote botanical, horticultural and environmental education at the Botanic Garden for the benefit of all.' Charity number SC O36705
Opening HoursApril - September 10am - 7pm
October - March 10am - 4pm
For more information contactLesley Cunningham, Parks Development Officer (East)
Tel: 01334 472385 Contact Lesley Cunningham online
By Post: Fife Council, Botanic Gardens, Canongate, St Andrews,