Page last updated at 3:00 PM, 29/09/2009
Nursery/P1 Transition Process
Children need supported to cope with change both when coming to nursery and when moving on to the next stage.
Children are enrolled for P1 by the end of January. There will be at least one meeting for parents soon after. This is an information event and will give parents the chance to ask questions about what happens when their child comes to school.
After Easter the nursery will start to prepare children for moving into P1.
Amongst other things this will involve
- an introduction to the reading scheme used in P1
- a ‘school’ in the role play area
- visits into the school on ‘errands’ visiting classrooms etc
- meeting with the P1 teacher and support staff
- meeting with their buddies (current P1s)
- learning to play games with their buddies
- visiting the P1 classroom
Parents are encouraged to join the children for a ‘shared start’ every day for the first week. For the first 2 weeks the children will attend school for 1/2 a day after which the children will attend school for the whole day. Towards the end of the 2nd week of school parents are invited to join their child for a school dinner.
Once the class is settled and attending school for a full day there will be another meeting for parents to find out about the curriculum and ask any questions they might have.