ChildLine is the free, confidential telephone counselling service for children and young people. ChildLine aims to protect children who are at risk of harm and to help children resolve or alleviate their problems and worries. They operate a 24 hour service. Children and young people can also chat online to a counsellor, email or access a message board via the website.
Telephone: Helpline: 0800 1111
CLIC Sargent is the UK's leading children's cancer charity. They provide the following for children and young people with cancer, and their families:
- clinical, practical and emotional support
- financial support including grants and benefits
- provide free ‘Home from Home’ accommodation close to specialist hospitals
- provide a wide range of valuable information on childhood cancer and its impact.
They also campaign and influence others to raise awareness of the needs of children and young people with cancer and to improve the support they receive.
Address: Head Office: Horatio House
77-85 Fulham Palace Road
London W6 8JA
Telephone: 0300 330 0803
5th Floor, Mercantile Chambers
53 Bothwell Street
Glasgow G2 6TS
Telephone: 0141 572 5700
Contact A Family
Contact a Family is a UK-wide charity providing advice, information and support to the parents of all disabled children - no matter what their disability or health condition.
Family workers offer parents one to one help and support through times of need.
Address: Contact a Family
Craigmillar Social Enterprise & Arts Centre
11/9 Harewood Road;
Edinburgh; EH16 4NT
Telephone: 0131 659 2930
Helpline: 0808 808 3556
Hands on Scotland
The HandsOnScotland Toolkit is an online resource for anybody working with children and young people. It is a one-stop shop for practical information and techniques on how to respond helpfully to children and young people's troubling behaviour, build up their self-esteem and promote their positive mental wellbeing.
The Playfield Institute provides assistance and support to frontline workers who are directly or indirectly involved in the prevention, promotion and care of children and young people’s mental health and wellbeing.
Address: Playfield Institute
Cupar; Fife; KY15 5RR
Telephone: 01334 696257
Scottish Families provides free, impartial information for families in Scotland such as:
- childcare availability in the local area including: nurseries, childminders, playgroups and out of school care
- pre-school education places for three and four year olds
- how different types of childcare are organised and what to look for when choosing a service
- details of organisations offering support
- information and guidance at local and national levels
- information on local activities, events and initiatives
The sevice is funded by the Scottish Government.