Motorcyclists are more likely to be injured in serious or fatal crashes than car drivers.
In 2006 599 motorcyclists died and 5,885 were seriously injured in road accidents.
Injuries to motorcyclists are far out of proportion to their presence on our roads. Motorcyclists are just 1 per cent of total road traffic, but account for 19 per cent of all Great Britain's road user deaths.
The five most common factors in road accidents that involve injury to motorcyclists are:
- failed to look properly
- loss of control
- failed to judge other person's path or speed
- careless, reckless or in a hurry
- poor turn or manoeuvre
Around 25 per cent of motorcycle fatalities were crashes that did not involve another vehicle. Of the remaining 75 per cent, almost half involve a car driver looking but failing to see. (www.dft.gov.uk)
Top tips - practical riding tips
Other useful information sites: http://www.aroundthecorner.org.uk/
'Don't risk it'provides motorcyclists with riding tips and a chance to ask the experts a question on its dedicated website.
Other useful websites:
Think! Motorcycle Academy - Leisure biker advice site
For more information contactMarion Harvie, Communications Officer, Fife Safety Camera Partnership, Road Safety
Tel: 01592 418859 Fax: 01592 418844 Contact Marion Harvie online
By Post: Fife Council, Police Headquarters, Detroit Road, Glenrothes, KY6 2RJ