Reducing the risk of wildfire
Archived news: published on Wednesday 23 May 2012 by Fife Council
Fife Fire and Rescue Service are urging members of the public to take care during this current spell of dry weather as every year fire destroys thousands of acres of countryside and wildlife habitats.
Steven Michie, Station Manager for Community Safety said: “We are currently experiencing some delightful weather and it is only natural to want to go outdoors and enjoy it with family and friends but it is also important to stay fire-aware when out and about.
“With the dry weather set to continue through the week we are asking the public to be vigilant and by following these few simple steps we can all help to reduce the chance of a wildfire, he added.”
- Extinguish cigarettes properly, don’t throw cigarette ends on the ground or out of car windows.
- Take your rubbish with you, especially glass bottles, which can magnify the sun's rays and start a fire as well as hurt people and animals.
- Avoid open fires in the countryside. Always have them in safe designated areas.
- If you see a fire in the countryside, report it immediately to the Fire & Rescue Service. Early detection can prevent it from developing into a large wildfire incident.
- Don’t attempt to tackle fires that can’t be put out with a bucket of water – leave the area as quickly as possible.
- Landowners and Land Managers are also advised, where possible, to ensure that fire breaks are cut and well maintained with any cut grasses and vegetation removed from the site.
- Remember that arson is a crime and you will be prosecuted.
We would also ask people to be extra cautious when lighting barbeques and bonfires. If you must have an open fire:
- Only use barbeques in suitable and safe area, never leave them unattended.
- Never use petrol, it can ignite quickly and soon get out of control. Only use approved lighting fuels.
- Make sure it is downwind and at least 10 metres away from any buildings or structures.
- Clear dry vegetation, such as leaves, to form a circle of earth around the fire.
- Never leave fires unattended and make sure they are fully extinguished after use.
For further fire safety advice email email@example.com
For more information contactSteven Michie, Station Manager - Methil
Tel: 01333 424719 Contact Steven Michie online
By Post: Fife Council, Methil Fire Station, Methilhaven Road, Methil, Leven KY8 3HP