Trusted Trader scheme
Fife Trusted Trader is led by Fife Council Trading Standards. It’s a membership scheme which uses an online directory of local trades who have made a commitment to treat their customers fairly.
The growing membership shows that the scheme gives both Fife residents and scheme members confidence that we are here to stay, and we will continue in our efforts to marginalise bogus workmen whilst promoting Fife businesses to local consumers.
Trusted Trader is designed to:
- Help customers avoid rogue traders
- Help customers make a more informed choice when choosing a trader
- Promote good business practice
Find a Trusted Trader
Customers who use a Trusted Trader are asked to complete a survey form, based on their experience. That feedback is published on an online database by our partners at Referenceline.
Search online for a local Trusted Trader (external link) and check the feedback from their previous customers. This can help select the right trader for your individual needs.
10 tips for using a Fife Trusted Trader
- Find a Trusted Trader at fifedirect.org.uk/trustedtrader. Anyone not online can phone Trading Standards duty officer on 01592 583141.
- If a trader recommended to you from elsewhere claims to be a Fife Trusted Trader, confirm they are members at fifedirect.org.uk/trustedtrader or phone Trading Standards duty officer on 01592 583141.
- Before employing any trader, including a Trusted Trader, it’s always sensible to get more than one quote, so you can compare and get a better idea of the going rate for the job.
- When contacting a Trusted Trader, remember to ask if they charge call out or inspection fees for diagnosing a fault. Trusted Traders are in business and are allowed to charge for their time and expertise but any fees should be made clear in advance.
- Be clear about the work you want the Trusted Trader to do for you – put it in writing if necessary. A misunderstanding of exactly what is required can be a common reason things go wrong.
- After the work is completed, your Trusted Trader will give you a feedback form so you can tell us what you think about them. Don’t be afraid to ask for a form if you aren’t given one.
- When you get a feedback form, please fill it in and send it back. This helps to keep the online feedback up to date and helps other customers choose the right Trusted Trader for their needs.
- If you prefer you can give your feedback online. Ask the Trusted Trader to send you a link.
- Don’t let the Trusted Trader you used give feedback on your behalf. We want your views, not theirs.
- If you’ve used a Trusted Trader its unlikely things will go wrong but occasionally they do. If you need consumer advice you can call Citizens Advice Scotland on 03454 04 05 06 or visit citizensadvice.org.uk/scotland to find out what your rights are and how to take action.
Applying to join the scheme
The scheme is aimed at the home improvement trades, other household related services and the motor trade.
The income from fees is used to cover administration costs and to market the scheme locally. The annual membership fee is £195 + VAT. Membership of the scheme is renewable on 1st April of each year. A pro-rata amount will be charged if joining part way through the year.
- Request an application pack.
- Download an application form in PDF format, which you can complete and return to us. Please ensure that you include a copy of relevant documents mentioned in Section D of the application form, including any contract terms and conditions.
There is no need to send any payment at this stage. Once we have received your completed application, it will go through the vetting process prior to being approved.
Members must not claim membership until this is completed. As a condition of membership, Members must agree to adhere to the terms and conditions. This includes a commitment to trade fairly, within the requirements of the law. Any complaints should be dealt with promptly and effectively and in accordance with our dispute resolution process within the terms and conditions.
Applications should be sent to:
Trading Standards Team, Economy, Planning & Employability Services, 1st floor, Kingdom House, Kingdom Avenue, Glenrothes KY7 5LY.
Member firms are responsible for their work and Fife Council accepts no liability for work done. Customers are advised to satisfy themselves as to the suitability of any member they choose to use.
Benefits of the scheme
- Fife Trusted Trader is operated by Trading Standards.
- Publicity via the Referenceline website.
- Publicity through Fife Council advertising and promotion.
- The right to use the Trusted Trader logo on your business stationery, your advertising and your business premises and vehicle(s).
- You will receive a membership certificate to display on your premises.
- Public recognition for businesses that take a pride in what they do.
- The opportunity for extra business.
- Invaluable customer feedback.
The Scheme is widely advertised, including:
- Fife Direct website.
- Fife Trading Standards social media sites. Find us at www.twitter.com/@fifets or www.facebook.com/fifets
- Other Fife Council advertising and promotion.
- All local newspapers.
- Kingdom FM.
If you have an enquiry relating to the scheme not covered above, please contact us by telephone on 01592 583141 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tel: 01592 583141 Contact Trusted Trader Scheme online
By Post: Kingdom House Kingdom Avenue Glenrothes Fife KY7 5LY