Requesting environmental information
How we can help you find out more about a site?
You can use our Environmental Enquiry service to find a range of valuable information for any site in Fife.
There is a charge of £150 for this information.
What you need to send us
Please send us - by letter or email - your request, including:
- a site map clearly showing the boundary of your site
- the address or location of the site
- any specific questions or queries you may have
- return contact details
- a site reference (this could be a code or the address, for example)
These details allow us to makesure we are searching our databases for information specific to the property you're interested in and to match your payment to your request.
You can send this:
- by e-mail to: email@example.com
- by post to: Land & Air Quality Team, Kingdom House, Kingdom Avenue, Glenrothes, KY7 5LT
What we'll send you
We'll send a report within 20 working days (or 40 working days if your enquiry is complex) of receiving your request. It will detail what we found by searching:
- historical maps and aerial photography for historic and current land uses on and near the site (usually with a 250 metre radius)
- historical land use data for entries on and near the site
- Council records, maps and reports for details of former landfill sites and refuse tips; this includes details of materials deposited, gas monitoring results and the period the site operated, if known
- Fife Council databases and external databases, including groundwater abstractions (for example, wells), protected areas, local coal mining information, British Geological Survey data and the contaminated land register.
We'll include a selection of maps and aerial photographs.
The volume and type of information that's available will vary for each site.
We'll also send:
- contact details for outher council services and external bodies who may be able to offer useful information
- general advice about developing sites with potential contamination issues.
We can send you information by email or, if you prefer, by post. (If you prefer email, make sure your computer can open PDF files.)
We can't provide:
There is some information wich we cannot provide, including:
- a list of all former industrial sites in Fife
- dates when a particular site may be investigated under our inspection programme
- a recommendation for environmental consultants
- a contaminated land risk assessment for your site.
How to make you payment
There are two ways for you to make your payment, either by phone or online. Payments can be made using either a debit or credit card. Please be aware that there is a 1.25% charge when using a credit card. We are no longer able to accept cash or cheques as payment methods.
When you make your payment please provide us with enough detail so that we can match your payment to your request (the site reference you give during payment should be the same as that used in your request email or letter). Your request will be processed and the report produced once payment has been received.
You can pay over the phone using a debit or credit card by calling 03451 55 11 22. You will be issued with a unique reference number as a receipt of payment. Please provide the member of staff dealing with your payment enough detail (including your site reference, this should be the same as that given in your request email or letter) so that your payment can be matched to your request.
Online payments can be made by using this link or accessing the payment section using the Pay button on the FifeDirect home screen.
When using this method please ensure the following:
- under Payment Type please select 'Environmental Information'
- Reference - give your site a reference, this should be the same as that given in your request email or letter
- the amount is £150 per site
- in the Optional Description section please add any additional detail which will help us identify your request such as the site address with post code.
You can contact the Land and Air Quality Team for further information.
Tel: 01592 583141 Contact Contaminated Land online
By Post: Kingdom House Kingdom Avenue Glenrothes Fife KY7 5LY