Excluded items and alternative support

If you are applying for something that is excluded, you may be able to get help elsewhere.

These are listed below:



Excluded item/expense/circumstance

Alternative source of help

A need which occurs outside the United Kingdom or expenses to meet the needs of people who have no recourse to public funds.

If a need arises out with the UK or if you have no recourse to public funds then you should seek advice from the Home Office or the Scottish Refugee Council

You can get help from Women's Aid, if you are experiencing domestic abuse. 

An educational or training need including: clothing

and tools, distinctive school uniform or sports clothes for use at school, equipment to be used at school, travelling expenses to or from school, school meals taken during school holidays by children who are entitled to free school meals.

If you are in receipt of a qualifying benefit or have income below a certain amount you may qualify for Free School Meals.

If you are in receipt of income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, income-related Employment & Support Allowance or Income Support and your child is under sixteen and attending a Fife primary or secondary school then you may qualify for a School Clothing Grant.

We can help you and your school develop a School Travel Plan for information on travelling to school.

You may be able to apply to the Access to Learning Fund if you're studying a higher education course.

If your child has a disability then you may be eligible for a grant from The Family Fund.

Expenses in connection with court (legal

proceedings) such as legal fees, court fees, fines, costs, damages, subsistence or travelling expenses.

If you require financial assistance with legal fees then you should contact The Scottish Legal Aid Board. You may also be eligible for expenses for going to court.

Removal or storage charges if the person is being

re-housed following a compulsory purchase order,

a redevelopment or closing order or a compulsory exchange of tenancies.

You will be able to access advice on what to do in these circumstances from Shelter Scotland or from the Fife Council Housing Section.

A television or a radio or a licence, aerial or rental costs, costs of purchasing renting or installing a telephone (unless this is for the purpose of a community alarm), mobile phones and any call charges.

If you or the person you care for is over 75 years old then you may qualify for a free TV licence or if you or anyone you live with is blind or severely visually impaired then you may qualify for a 50% reduction in the cost of your TV licence, for more information see Help with TV licence costs.

If you are in receipt of certain disability benefits you may qualify for help with the cost of your telephone line rental.

Repair to Local Authority property or the property of social landlords who maintain property on behalf

of the tenant.

Please contact your landlord for advice or assistance:

Rent in advance, which can be provided by a Budgeting Loan/Payment or a Discretionary Housing Payment.

Assistance with rent in advance or rent deposits may be paid for by applying for a Discretionary Housing Payment or by applying to the

Housing Advice Centre to find suitable alternative accommodation.

Contact your nearest Local Office or the Housing Advice phone line on 03451 55 00 33 (line open 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday).




Go Top

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience here. If you do not want us to use cookies you can change your settings at any time.