Free School Meals & School Clothing Grants
We can provide free school meals for children and help towards purchasing school clothing if you are on a low income. From January 2015 all P1 - 3 pupils are entitled to receive free school meals without making an application, however you must still apply if you would like your child to receive free milk. An application is also still needed to receive a school clothing grant. The school clothing grant is £55.00 per child.
To qualify for free school meals and school clothing grant, you must be in receipt of one of the following;
- Income support
- Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based)
- Employment and Support Allowance (Income Related)
- Child Tax Credit only with income below £16,105
- Child Tax Credit & Working Tax Credit with income below £6420
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration & Asylum Act 1999
- Universal Credit
- Long Term Incapacity Benefit (school clothing grant only)
- Widows Allowance if not in full time employment (school clothing grant only)
- Working and Child Tax Credit only with an income below £16,105 (School clothing grant only)
How to apply
If you don't have access to a PC or mobile device with an internet connection, you can use:
- EzFife PC's at any community library in Fife Council
- Internet cafes
- A friend or relatives PC or mobile device where this is internet access
Fife Digital Directory explains where you can get free access to computers and the internet in Fife, and where you can learn more about how to use them. Download it from the bottom of this page.
If you need help completing the application form you can contact us online at http://www.fifedirect.org.uk/contactrevenues or call us on 03451 55 11 55.
Once you have made an application you will be asked to provide evidence to support your claim. This should be the most up to date, original, award letter for the benefit you receive. You can upload the evidence electronically when you complete your application or this can be handed in to your nearest local office by appointment. Alternatively, you can send them to the Benefits and Council Tax Team at the address below.
If you already receive Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction you do not need to provide evidence of your income.
Payment of School Clothing Grants
The earliest date a school clothing grant will be paid is 23rd June 2016, thereafter, payments will be made on a weekly basis.
If your child / children are receiving free school meals you must notify the Benefits and Council Tax Team of any chages to your income or household details, for example;
- If the income you or your partner has changes
- If you or your partner stop work
- If the amount of Tax Credit you receive changes or ends.
- If you change address
- If your child changes school
- If your child leaves school
You can report a change online or in writing at your nearest Local Office.