Flooding advice


Funding has been provided by the Scottish Government for the Council to administer to each flood affected household, business, or community group (such as rugby clubs etc.) with a flat rate grant of £1,500.  This was originally related to the Storm Desmond and Storm Frank incidents in December 2015.  Scottish Ministers have now asked for more flexibility to be shown when administering the grant.  It has now been confirmed that flooding that meets the criteria which occurred since July 2015 will now be considered.  To apply for funding, please complete the application form on the publications page.  It can also be downloaded here  Please return the completed form to the address at the bottom of page 2 of the application form.



Flooding can happen suddenly and with little warning. Under common law, property owners have the main responsibility for safeguarding and insuring their land or property against all hazards including flooding. This includes taking steps to reduce the risk of flooding provided these actions do not increase the risk of flooding to other properties.  If you live in an area prone to flooding, there are preventative actions to help protect your property, belongings and your family. One of the most important things you should do is to prepare a flood emergency pack. Information on what should be included can be found within the Flooding advice leaflet as well as information about prevention and advice.

Practical advice for tenants and homeowners:

If water is coming into your property... use a bucket to collect the water and contain it as much as possible with towels.
If you need sandbags...and are at immediate risk of flooding contact us on 03451 550099 and we'll deliver them to you resources allowing, or you may be able to arrange uplift from your nearest depot. Limited supplies mean we can't guarantee to respond to all requests, Residents are expected to undertake reasonable measures to protect their properties. You can buy (empty) sandbags at most DIY stores or there is information on flood protection products such as flood barriers and airbrick covers at the Scottish Environmental Protection Agency's (SEPA) website:

Council depots are located at:
Cupar Trading Estate, KY15 4SX. Tel. 03451 555 555 ext.859034
Bankhead Central, KY6 7GH. Tel. 03451 555 555 ext.849165
Carnock Road, Dunfermline, KY12 9AX. Tel 03451 555 555 ext. 899020

If drains are overflowing in your street... call Fife Council on 03451 550099. If it's an emergency, it will be attended to as soon as possible. If the water is not causing an obstruction to traffic or flooding a house or garden someone will attend to it within the next 10 working days.
If your whole street is under water and every property is affected... contact Fife Fire & Rescue Service who will attend as soon as possible.
If your ceiling is bulging with water... try piercing a small hole in the bubble to release the water until a more permanent repair can be carried out. Remember to put a bucket or basin under the hole to collect the water.
If water is coming through a light fitting... leave it alone, and call an electrician to isolate the electricity to the light.

There are plenty of ways to stay informed. Find the latest advice:

Social media and
Radio Kingdom FM (95.2 & 96.1), Forth One (97.3) and Tay FM (96.4 & 102.8)
Phone 03451 55 11 99 (or 03451 55 00 99 out-of-hours)


Phone lines to the emergency services and Fife Council will be extremely busy during a flooding emergency. Only phone them if you really need to.

To report a non emergency flood on the road, you can do this online at

Up-to-the-minute information is also available from SEPA at or via their Floodline 0345 988 1188. There's also a new mobile website to make live flooding information more accessible to users on the go. The website is

Flooding can also bring health risks. For information on how to protect yourself go to or


SEPA have recently promoted their public use "Report-a-Flood" website.  This is primarily an information sharing and reporting tool for Scotland. It has been designed for the public to share information on where flooding occurs.  It is important to note that the information is not verified once recorded by a member of the public.  While a useful tool Report a Flood is not a formal method of flood event reporting.

The site can be accessed here

Flood Risk Management

SEPA is working closely with the Scottish Government, local authorities and Scottish Water to implement a new approach to manage flood risk in Scotland. It will help to target resources in areas where they can have the greatest impact. Further information on flood risk management planning and how this will be practically implemented is available on SEPA's website:



Emergencies (lines open after 5pm and all weekend)
Tel: 03451 55 00 99
By Post: Forth House Abbotshall Road Kirkcaldy Fife KY1 1RU
Go Top

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience here. If you do not want us to use cookies you can change your settings at any time.