Fife Council's heritage team
Did you know that Fife has more listed monuments and conservation buildings than most other areas in Scotland?
Within Fife Council we have a dedicated team with the skills and experience to undertake projects of all sizes to preserve them for years to come.
Who we are
Fife Council’s Building Services Heritage team was established in 2009 pulling a range of existing skills from across the department. We support and encourage training and have a strong stonemason apprenticeship scheme within Building Services that includes 3 apprentice Stone Masons. The Heritage Team have undertaken specialist training in partnership with the Scottish Lime Centre, who are based in Charleston, Fife.
What we do
The Heritage Team can take on a range of refurbishment works to historic buildings, monuments, stone built walls and can also carry out survey works. This includes:
- stone repair and replacement
- lime mortar repairs
- lime rendering and lime washing
As well as taking on projects in our own right, we also work closely with the rest of the Council’s Major Works Team to assist with extensions and renovation of properties.
Where you’ll have seen our work
We have worked on a number of high profile and nationally recognised projects such as:
- the restoration of Pittencrieff House Museum in Pittencrieff Park
- the refurbishment of Newport fountain’s stonework and roof features
- extensive building restoration to Dysart Tolbooth & Townhouse
- the refurbishment of Kirkcaldy’s museum, library and art gallery
It’s not just large projects that we undertake. Smaller jobs are always welcome, particularly to help up-skill our apprentices. It can include repair and alteration work such as:
- individual stone repair or replacement on buildings
- slate roof repairs
- stone window and door surrounds
- sympathetic window repairs and replacement
- the restoration of historic features such as chimneys, carvings and ornate detailing
- war memorials repairs and maintenance
- survey works
What we offer
We are a professional team that have carried out a range of restoration work. We have earned a reputation for delivering high quality workmanship and service on time and within budget. We can provide quotes for heritage and restoration work for organisations as well as working on the Council’s own buildings. Often, if a piece of restoration work requires wider services from the Council, such as road works or diversions, we can arrange this for you as part of the package.
Do you have a historic building or feature that requires specialist attention?
Get in touch with our Heritage Team for advice and support on how best to restore or refurbish it. We can discuss a package of work and provide quotes for our recommendations.
Tel: 03451 55 55 55 + Ext 45 08 82 Contact Roddy Sneddon online
By Post: Fife Council Bankhead Central Bankhead Park Glenrothes Fife KY7 6GH