Dog Warden Service

Dog Control Officers offer advice on dog ownership as well as investigate complaints received from the public regarding dog nuisances such as:

  • Dog fouling in public places (you have a legal responsibility to clean up after your dog)
  • Dog barking
  • Straying dogs
  • Out of Control Dogs
  • Un-microchipped dog issues.

What can I do about dogs fouling in my street?

Please call us to report such an offence and our Safer Communities Team can investigate your complaint and arrange to monitor the area.  03451 550022

It is an offence for a person in charge of a dog to leave dog excrement after it has fouled. Anyone found committing such an offence could be issued with a £80 fixed penalty notice. All non payment of fines are sent to the Procurator Fiscal.  

Do the Council provide free 'poop scoop' bags?

No, however they are available at a small cost from retailers.

Stray dogs

Any stray dogs found will be uplifted by a Council Dog Warden and taken to a local kennel provider.

Lost your dog – what should you do:

  • Contact us on 03451 55 00 22 or
  • Contact the local kennels:
    • East and Central Fife Area (including Glenrothes)– Quarrybrae Boarding Kennels, Birns Farm Cottage, Ladybank KY15 7UL
      Tel: 01337 830212
    • West Fife Area (including Kirkcaldy, Dysart, Cowdenbeath and Lochgelly) –  Langdyke Boarding Kennels, Nr Kennoway KY8 5SQ
      Tel: 01333 353546
  • Contact your local Police Station who might be able to help. 

Click link for Cost information 

All dogs that are seized under the EPA 1990 are immediately transported to Fife Council approved kennels unless vet visit is required. On arrival at kennels and if safe to do so, dog will be scanned or checked for ownership details. If details are established every effort is made to contact owner. To help assist, owners of dogs are requested to keep their dogs "ID" up to date at all times.  It is also a requirement under The Microchipping of Dogs (Scotland) Regulations 2016 that your dog is microchipped.

Please note:  You will have one week from the uplift of your stray dog to reclaim it. If your dog is not claimed within this time, your dog will then become the property of the kennel provider who will try and find it a good home.

Please refer to The Environmental Protection Act 1990 for guidance on stray dogs.

If a dog is barking constantly, who do I complain to?

If you are disturbed by dogs barking, please try to solve the problem with your neighbour informally. If that doesn't resolve the problem then contact us during daytime hours. After 5pm, contact Police Scotland on 01592 418888. They will pass your call to our Night Time Noise Team.

We will then investigate the validity of the complaint and where appropriate, contact the owners and offer them advice on ways to resolve the complaint.

What do I do about a dangerous dog?

If you think a dog is dangerous or aggressive, you should contact us on 03451 550022. Dog Control Officers will then investigate, where appropriate, under The Control of Dogs (Scotland) Act 2010.
If a dog bites someone, you should then contact Police Scotland.



Contact Centre (Animal Health & Welfare helpline) - (lines open 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.)
Tel: 03451 55 00 22
By Post: Forth House Abbotshall Road Kirkcaldy Fife KY1 1RU
Go Top

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience here. If you do not want us to use cookies you can change your settings at any time.