The Benefit Cap

The UK Government places a limit on the total amount of benefit that most people aged 16 to 64 can get. This is called the benefit cap. The amount you get from certain benefits might go down to make sure the total you get isn’t more than the cap amount.
It was introduced in Fife from July 2013 and all affected households were contacted at that time.


The current cap is:

  • £500 per week (£26,000 per year) if you’re in a couple, whether your children live with you or not
  • £500 per week (£26,000 per year) if you’re single and your children live with you
  • £350 per week (£18,200 per year) if you’re single and you don’t have children, or your children don’t live with you
*** UPDATE: The maximum amount you can receive before your benefits are capped will change in the autumn of 2016.***
From autumn 2016 the cap in Fife will reduce to:
  • £384.62 per week (£20,000 a year) if you’re in a couple, whether your children live with you or not
  • £384.62 per week (£20,000 a year) if you’re single and your children live with you
  • £257.69 per week (£13,400 a year) if you’re single and you don’t have children, or your children don’t live with you
For full details, and information about which benefits are included in the cap, visit:

Not all households who receive benefits will be affected by the cap. The cap won’t apply if you, your partner or any children in your household are eligible to receive Working Tax Credits or receive any of the benefits below:

  • Attendance Allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payment
  • The Support Component of Employment and Support Allowance
  • Industrial Injuries Benefit
  • War Widow’s or War Widower’s Pension

The benefits that will count towards the cap are:

  • Bereavement Allowance
  • Carer’s Allowance
  • Child Benefit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Employment and Support Allowance (unless you receive the support component)
  • Guardian’s Allowance
  • Incapacity Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Job Seeker’s Allowance
  • Maternity Allowance
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Widowed Parent’s Allowance
  • Widowed Mother’s Allowance
  • Widow’s Pension (including the age-related component)
  • Housing Benefit (unless you are in Supported Exempt Accomodation)

If your combined income from these benefits is more than the level of the cap your benefits will be reduced. The cap will be applied by reducing the amount of Housing Benefit you receive. The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) will contact the Council to tell us the amount to be deducted from Housing Benefit and the date this is to start from.

If the cap means Housing Benefit would reduce to below £0.50, then claimant will keep a nominal amount of £0.50 so they can still apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) and passported benefits. To find out more about DHP and to download an application form please visit

When the Council has to reduce Housing Benefit because of the cap we will get in touch to advise this.

If you are affected by the benefit cap, a reduction in Housing Benefit will mean you have to pay more rent.  If you are worried about being able to afford your rent then you can ask your Landlord for advice.  If you are a Fife Council tenant then please contact your Local Office.

There are some options open to you:

  • Get advice to budget and reduce your spending
  • If you have a high rent, consider cheaper accommodation – discuss Housing Options with our staff
  • Finding work or increasing your hours

Once households have been transferred to Universal Credit, the cap will apply to their combined income from Universal Credit and benefits including Child Benefit and Carer’s Allowance. You will still have to meet your rent from your directly paid benefits.

Benefit Cap Calculator

For more information about the Benefit Cap please visit This site includes a Benefit Cap calculator where you can check your details. You can also call the Benefit Cap helpline on 0845 605 7064.

Example 1 - Gavin, Fiona and their joint family

Gavin and Fiona have a right houseful. This is a second marriage for both of them, and between them they have 4 kids aged between 13 years to 7 months. Between Jobseekers Allowance, Child Benefit and Child Tax Credit, Gavin and Fiona get around £454 a week. They live in a 3 bedroom house, with a weekly rent of £62 a week, bringing their total benefits to £516 a week. When the Benefit Cap is applied they will only be entitled to a maximum of £500 a week, so they will lose out on £16 a week Housing Benefit. Gavin and Fiona will have to make up the difference.

Gavin says: “It seems like a lot of money, but keeping six of us fed, clothed, clean and warm costs a lot. Our caseworker helped us with a weekly budget to help track where every penny goes so that come the changes, we will be able to pay our way."

Benefits and Council Tax Enquiries
Tel: 03451 55 11 55 Contact Benefits and Council Tax Enquiries online
By Post: Rothesay House Rothesay Place Glenrothes Fife KY7 5PQ
Go Top

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience here. If you do not want us to use cookies you can change your settings at any time.