Spare bedrooms

Spare bedrooms

Council leaders have taken the decision to reimburse the full cost of the ‘bedroom tax’. This means that everyone affected by the bedroom tax in Fife will have the money repaid to them by the Council.   An application must still be made and the award will be paid from the start of the current financial year.  All you have to do to claim the money is complete the Discretionary Housing Payments form. You can do it online at or by calling 03451 551155.

Councillor David Ross, Leader of Fife Council, said: “I’m delighted that we can finally offset the ‘bedroom tax’ in full through the DHP. The bedroom tax hasn’t been scrapped, but this is the next best thing and will let us reimburse the full amount to those tenants hit by the tax."


How will I know if I'm affected?

From 1 April 2013, social housing tenants of working age who had more bedrooms than the Government decided they needed had their Housing Benefit reduced.

According to the UK Government regulations, one bedroom is allowed for:-

  • Every adult couple (married or unmarried)
  • A person aged 16 or over
  • Any two children aged under 10
  • Any two children of the same sex aged under 16
  • Any other child (other than a child whose main home is elsewhere)
  • A non-resident carer(s) providing you or your partner with overnight care
  • A child with serious disabilities
  • Approved foster carers (who have fostered a child or become an approved foster carer in the last 12 months)
  • Adult children in the Armed Forces who intend to return home to live with parents

Any household deemed to have more bedrooms than they needed lost a proportion of their housing benefit.

Examples of households affected by the measure included:

  • Separated parents who share the care of their children and who may have been allocated an extra bedroom to reflect this. UK Government rules meant that there must be a designated ‘main carer’ for children, so only one parent is entitled to a bedroom for their child
  • Couples who use their ‘spare’ bedroom when recovering from an illness or operation
  • Parents whose children come to visit but are not part of the household
  • Disabled people, including those living in adapted or specially-designed properties

The cut will be a fixed percentage of the Housing Benefit-eligible rent. This is set at a 14% cut for one extra bedroom and a 25% cut for two or more extra bedrooms.

We have put together a list of Frequently Asked Questions answered by the Council Tax and Benefits Team.  Please check them out before contacting us on the details given at the bottom of this page.


Benefits and Council Tax Enquiries
Tel: 03451 55 11 55 Contact Benefits and Council Tax Enquiries online
By Post: Rothesay House Rothesay Place Glenrothes Fife KY7 5PQ
Go Top

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience here. If you do not want us to use cookies you can change your settings at any time.