Personal Independence Payment

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

This benefit is for people with disabilities or long-term health problems that make it difficult for them to work. It will replace Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for everyone of working age by 2016, even if they have a lifetime award.

PIP will have a 'daily living' component and a 'mobility' component. These will be paid at two rates - standard and enhanced.

There is no automatic transfer from DLA to PIP. People already receiving DLA will need to make a claim for the new benefit when invited by the UK Government's Department of Work & Pensions (DWP).

Assessment will mainly be by a medical practitioner assessing the impact of an individual's health condition or disability on everyday activities. The extent to which someone can carry out these activities will determine their eligibility for PIP and how much they are awarded.

Not everyone who receives DLA will receive PIP. Those not entitled to PIP will be informed and their DLA will stop. How PIP will affect eligibility for other council services, e.g. blue badges, is still under discussion.

Everyone on Incapacity Benefit of working age will also be reassessed. If you’re classed as not fit for work your Incapacity Benefit will be replaced by ESA but you will not be expected to work.

Those considered fit will be expected to look for work and may qualify for Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA).

Those with a limited ability to work will have their Incapacity Benefit replaced with Employment & Support Allowance (ESA) and will move onto the ESA Work Related Activity Group (WRAG). This is part of the Work Programme which aims to tackle unemployment.  

Go Top

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience here. If you do not want us to use cookies you can change your settings at any time.