Residential care for adults and older people

Adults with disabilities or learning difficulties

If you need residential care, there are various care homes in the area that can help adults or older people with a disability. 

For adults with a disability, most of the homes are privately run and the council has a contract with them to provide the care on our behalf.

For older people, the council has ten care homes and there are also many private and charity-operated homes available in Fife.

Many of the homes also offer short breaks which give you a change of scene and give your carer a break from the work involved in caring for a loved one.

Older People

A care home offers an alternative home for people who are unable to remain safely in their own home. We currently have 9 local authority care homes in Fife, which are continuously staffed and provide meals, activities and help with personal care and daily living.

The address of each local authority care home can be found by viewing the details of each care home within the 'facilities' section on this page.

All care homes are registered and inspected by the Scottish Commission for the Regulation of Care to make sure that high standards are maintained at all times.

There is also a directory of all care homes in Fife, which you can collect as a printed copy from your local social work office.

Who else can help?

You can get more information on care homes in Fife from the Social Care & Social Work Improvement Scotland website (this link takes you to an external website). You can also download the latest inspection report for each home from the same site.

Age UK (takes you to an external site) is the new organisation combining Age Concern and Help the Aged. It will be known by its new name from Spring 2010.  The site has lots of useful information, including leaflets on choosing a care home. It also has  advice on all aspects of paying for care and can help you to make sure you’re getting all the benefits to which you are entitled.


Emergency Out of Hours Social Work Services
Tel: 03451 550099
By Post: New City House 1 Edgar Street Dunfermline Fife KY12 7EP

Social Work Enquiries
Tel: 03451 55 15 03 Contact Social Work Enquiries online
Go Top

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience here. If you do not want us to use cookies you can change your settings at any time.