Equality, diversity and human rights
The Equality, Diversity and Human Rights pages give you an insight into the work and ongoing activities that assist Fife Council in delivering its equality and diversity agenda. The following statement outlines our commitment to equality:
"An equal society protects and promotes equal, real freedom and substantive opportunity to live in the ways people value and would choose, so that everyone can flourish. An equal society recognises people’s different needs, situations and goals and removes the barriers that limit what people can do and can be" (UK Equalities Review).
We have produced an Equality and Diversity Scheme (2010-2013) which you can access from the publications section on this page. This brings together and updates our previous priorities on race, disability and now takes account of all protected characteristics under the Equality Act 2010.
The new scheme moves us away from a process-driven framework to one which focuses on achieving positive outcomes for our service users, staff and customers.
We will focus on the following areas of work:
- Ensure we have up to date data and information on our communities which will help to develop equalities objectives
- Work in partnership with other statutory and voluntary sector organisation
- Engage with our communities
- Ensure communities are involved in the services we provide
- Ensure are policies and practices as an employ comply with equalities legislation
Please see the publications sections on this page to view our latest Equality and Diversity Annual Review Report 2009/2010.
Equalities Participation Network