Twin & Partner Towns
In many ways the Royal Burgh of Culross is a living museum of 16th and 17th century life in the coastal village, with many of its buildings restored to their former glory.
A monastery was founded by St Serf in the village in the 5th century, but it was during its time as a bustling port, exporting coal and salt, that Culross really put its name on the map. Merchant Sir George Bruce was responsible for the 'Palace' or 'Great Lodging,' built between 1597 and 1611 through the success of his ventures.
Many of the building materials came from the Low Countries, including the Dutch floor tiles and glass in the merchant's house.
Culross Abbey, founded as a monastery in 1217 by Malcolm, 6th Earl of Fife, was dedicated to St. Mary and St Serf. The tomb of Sir George Bruce and his family can be viewed in the abbey. Another notable building is the 1626 Town House, now used by the National Trust for Scotland as a visitor centre.
Also worth seeing are the many fine preserved small houses within the Outstanding Conservation Area. Culross harbour is believed to be one of the oldest in Scotland, first used by the monks of Culross Abbey. The pier is now in a state of deterioration, but that could change with a project set up to restore the harbour.
Visitors are well catered for in Culross, with accommodation available and some interesting shops.
Details taken from "West Fife Villages Guide" produced by Links Media for West Fife Villages Community Planning Group.