Newburgh is the northern "gateway" into Fife from Perthshire and is situated on the banks of the River Tay. There has been a settlement here for over 1,000 years with the "New Burgh" being granted its Royal Charter and burgh status from Alexander III in 1266.
Although a small town there are many local groups engaged in activities to keep the town flourishing. The Newburgh Regeneration Group has been successful in obtaining substantial financial support to carry out environmental improvements at the River Tay waterfront – previously the site of an old linoleum factory. Plans are also progressing to develop an all-weather sports facility adjacent to the Waterfront. A local Management Committee runs the Tayside Institute Community Centre and provides a range of activities for all ages including an after-school club and a computer Learning Centre.
Other facilities found in the town include the Laing library and museum, named after a local historian and benefactor, and shortly an Arts Co-operative will be established in the former Town Hall, which will incorporate studios for 8-10 artists as well as provide community access for aspiring local residents.
All in all Newburgh is a lively, bustling town with a range of local businesses catering for the needs of local residents and visitors alike.