The former mining village of Torryburn grew up as one of the busy Forth ports with the export of salt and coal, from the salt pan operations, in the 1600s. Torry once belonged to the Wardlaw family, Henry being the Bishop of St Andrews between 1404 and 1440. Walter Wardlaw was the Bishop of Glasgow from 1367-1389 and was promoted to Cardinal by Pope Clement VII.
Notable buildings include the Parish Church of Torryburn and Newmills, dating to the early 1800s and Craigflower House (now flats) with its crowstepped gables, on the shore.
A project has been set up to upgrade the coastal path from Crombie Point to Valleyfield Woods and reinstate parts of the sea wall to its original appearance. As part of the Torry Bay Enhancement, tourist routes through the village will be improved. Many visitors make tracks to the village for the popular walks.
Details taken from "West Fife Villages Guide" produced by Links Media for West Fife Villages Community Planning Group.