Expand Facility Search
St Margarets Cave
Glen Bridge Car Park ,
Chalmers Street, Dunfermline, KY12 8DF
tel. 01383 602386
More info on this venue can be found at www.onfife.com
St Margaret's Cave
Queen Margaret came here to pray over 900 years ago. Then there was only a wooded path by a stream at the bottom of the valley with a short climb up to the small cave. Now there's a tunnel with 87 steps leading deep underground.
Who was St Margaret?
Margaret was a Saxon princess, granddaughter of King Edmund Ironside of England, born around 1047 in Hungary where her exiled father had settled. Margaret became Queen of Scotland when she married King Malcolm Canmore in Dunfermline around 1070. Three of her eight children became Kings of Scotland: Edgar, Alexander and David. In 1093, after a deeply religious and charitable life, Margaret died on 16th November - her saint's day is still celebrated on this date. She was made a Saint by Pope Innocent the Fourth in honour of her life and the miracles associated with her after her death.
A Special Place
This special place has an atmosphere all of its own. When you descend into the earth, with the haunting sound of monks singing, you can feel the weight of centuries of Dunfermline's history.
St Margaret's Cave is situated in the car park whose entrance is in Chalmers Street, opposite the main entrance.
Groups welcome. Maximum of 20 people in the tunnel at any one time. No disabled access.
Tel: 03451 55 55 55 + Ext 49 27 87 Contact Emily Jordan online
By Post: Carnegie Library Abbot Street Dunfermline Fife KY12 7NL
Opening HoursSummer only from 1st April to 30th September. Daily,11am - 4pm.
Groups welcome: please ring 01383 722935(Pittencrieff House Museum)to arrange. We are happy to arrange group visits outside normal opening dates and times provided these are pre-booked with two weeks' notice.
Please note that all mail should be sent to Pittencrieff House Museum, Pittencrieff Park, Dunfermline, KY12 8QH.