Bins and recycling
Monday 6 March 2018 - Important information on bin collections
We now have resources available to collect bins that were missed last week. Please put the missed bins out on your usual collection day this week – but not brown bins. We will only be collecting blue, grey and green bins this week.
If we have not emptied your landfill bin by Sunday 11 March, then please bring it back in and put it out next week on your normal collection day.
Sorry for the inconvenience.
If you're struggling for bin space in the meantime, try the following:
- Ensure all food waste is deposited in the brown bin which should have capacity until the next scheduled collection provided little or no garden waste is put in them.
- Consider sorting your waste so that anything that can be stored longer isn't deposited in bins now.
- When it’s safe to travel and the recycling centres re-open, please take waste that can be recycled there. See https://www.fifedirect.org.uk/waste for your nearest recycling centre or recycling point. We hopesome recycling centres will be able to open tomorrow (Saturday) and we’ll issue updates as we can.
- Make the most of your bin capacity by compressing your waste before placing it in the in the bin.
- Avoid using up space in your landfill bin by placing recyclables in the appropriate recycling bin.
We expect to start bin collections again on Monday and will be followingour routine collection cycle. Please bring your bins in from the street until your next collection date as they obstruct to the snow clearing effort. There may still be locations we cannot access next week and we will update you as early as we can on what to do if your bin has not been emptied.
Please do not phone us about bin collections at the moment as we can only deal with emergency calls for the most vulnerable people.
Severe weather FAQs - Rubbish and recyclingPublished by: Fife Council
In times of severe weather there may be some disruption to our rubbish and recycling collection service. Have a look through our frequently asked question to see if they can help with your particular issue.
Q. What are the bin collections over Christmas and New Year?
We will not operate bin collections on 25 and 26 December 2017 or 1 and 2 January 2018.
If your bin collection falls on these days then your revised collection day will be:
- Monday 25 December will receive a collection on Saturday 23 December 2017
- Tuesday 26 December will receive a collection on Sunday 24 December 2017
- Monday 1 January 2018 will receive a collection on Saturday 30 December 2017
- Tuesday 2 January 2018 will receive a collection on Sunday 31 December 2017
Please remember to have your bins out by 6am on the day of collection as bin collections may not occur at your usual time on these days.
Q. When are Recycling Centres open over the holidays?
Recycling Centres are closed on the following dates:
- 25 December
- 26 December
- 01 January
- 02 January
All of Fifes 11 Recycling Centres will close at 5pm on Thursday 24 December and Thursday 31 December.
Please note that we expect the Recycling Centres to be very busy when they re-open after these closures.
Q. When should I put out my commercial and household bins to be emptied during severe weather?
- Please continue to place your bins out on their scheduled collection day. Householders should follow the online bin calendar and businesses as per agreed contract. If your bin is missed, we will attempt to collect it on the following day.
- During times of greater disruption we will place information on our Recycling and Waste website to inform you of the actions that you should take.
- If you are a commercial customer and would like further information please visit the commercial waste website, call our Recycling Helpline on 03451 55 00 22 or email email@example.com
Q. Can I take my excess household waste to a recycling centre?
- Yes, excess household waste can be taken to one of the eleven Recycling Centres in Fife. These are staffed and open 7 days a week, October to March, 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m (last entry)
- Occasionally, due to severe weather we may need to close a Recycling Centre. If the weather is bad, please check FifeDirect before you set out.
- Recycling Centres are closed for public holidays on 25 and 26 December and 1 and 2 January.
Q. My commercial waste has been missed, what can I do?
Q. Can I take my excess commercial waste to a recycling centre?
We may consider accepting excess commercial waste at one of our 9 Recycling Centres licensed to accept commercial waste during times of prolonged disruption caused by severe weather. This will only be available with prior agreement with the Council. Please contact us on 03451 55 00 22 to discuss further or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Q. Why has the online bin calendar not been updated to reflect new collection arrangements during severe weather?
The online calendar is programmed with collection information for a year at a time and cannot be updated to reflect missed collections during severe weather. Any appropriate advice about these collections will be found on the Councils Closures and Disruptions page on FifeDirect or on the Recycling and Waste section of Fife Direct.
Q. My bin has not been emptied, why is this?
- The severe weather may have had an impact on bin collections in your area. Even if the roads are clear, it may take us longer to empty bins due to collection crews needing to walk slower due to the weather conditions.
- You can find out what actions to take by visiting the Closures and Disruptions page on FifeDirect or by visiting the Recycling and Waste section on Fife Direct.
Q. The roads are now clearer and a neighbouring street has had a bin uplift but my street has not been collected. Why is this?
- The decision to enter a street is made by the driver of the collection vehicle and it is their job to assess if the street is safe to enter. Our waste collection vehicles weigh over 20 tonnes, are more liable to slipping on ice than a car or van and can cause a vast amount of damage if they do slide.
- Some issues that our drivers have to consider are:
- Ease of turning in the street
- Locations of parked cars
- Degree of slopes in road
- Safety of the collection crew
- Any other factors that may lead to the vehicle becoming stuck or sliding
Q. I have another non-weather related Environmental Services enquiry.
Please contact us on 03451 550022 to discuss this further or visit our Environment pages on the Fife Direct website.
Tel: 03451 55 00 22 Contact Recycling Helpline (lines open 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.) online