Staff information

Bad weather, icy roads, floods or snow sometimes makes travel to or from work difficult or dangerous.


The attached guides contain advice for Fife Council employees and managers on information sources and the arrangements that apply if weather conditions affect attendance at work.

Severe Weather FAQs - HR advice

Published by: Fife Council

Hopefully some of the information here will answer your questions.

Q.      What should I do if I am unable to come to work?

You should follow normal absence reporting procedures and depending on your circumstances, discuss with your line manager alternative working arrangements, such as working from home, working from an alternative work-place, changing your work pattern, leave, working back the time.


Q.      What leave is available to an employee who has attempted to come into work, but has been forced to abandon their journey?

This is a very unfortunate situation. Depending on the employee’s circumstances, options include annual leave, flexi-leave (if available), unpaid leave, or an agreement to work back the time at a later date.


Q.      An employee has exhausted their annual leave entitlement and has taken all the flexi days they are entitled to for the year/month, what alternatives are there?

  1. If they have accrued flexi hours, you can, in these exceptional circumstances, allow him or her to exceed their flexi entitlement in order to cover all or part of their absence.
  2. If they have no flexi credit, he or she can be allowed to go into a deficit and work back the time over an agreed period.
  3. Depending on the time to be covered, a combination of the above.

Q.      What are the options with regards to working in a different location closer to home, or working from home?

You can work from an alternative workplace with the permission of your manager.  This will depend on the type of job you do and the arrangements within your Service.  Depending on the type of job you do you may also be able to work from home, however this must be agreed in advance with your line manager.


Q.      My manager agreed that I could work from home, however I only had enough work to work for 6 hours. Will I be credited for a full day?

No, your manager will discuss this with you and you will be credited for the hours you actually worked. 



Fife Council Link to Directgov - public services all in one place

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience here. If you do not want us to use cookies you can change your settings at any time.