Opening date revealed for Scotland's first cycle circuit
Archived news: published on Friday 27 Apr 2018 by Fife Council
Youngsters trying out FIfe Cycle Park earlier this year
Fife Cycle Park logo
Fife Cycle Park, the first purpose built cycle circuit in Scotland, will be officially opened at a special event next month.
Record breaking long-distance cyclist Mark Beaumont will do the honours alongside Provost of Fife Jim Leishman on Wednesday 23rd May.
The 1.6km outdoor circuit, which has been built on land between Lochgelly High School and Lochore Meadows Country Park, will offer cycling opportunities in a traffic free environment to people of all ages and abilities. The facility will also ensure clubs, groups and events have a top class facility to develop riders and run a wide range of community activities.
Speaking ahead of the opening event, Mark Beaumont said: “I’m absolutely delighted to be helping open this fantastic cycling facility in Fife. The Fife Cycle Park is the first of its kind in Scotland and will undoubtedly open up opportunities for the community at large to get on their bikes in a safe and encouraging environment.”
Cllr Judy Hamilton, Convener of the Community and Housing Services Committee added: “Fife Cycle Park has already gained national attention and is set to put central Fife at the forefront of Scottish cycling. Crucially though, many of the programmes that will be developed in the coming months will ensure that there is something to suit the many people who are unable to access or return to cycling.
“This will be a safe outdoor space for people to access and there will be a focus on tackling the health inequalities that exist in the local area. Encouraging people to get and stay active is an important preventative measure that contributes towards long-term health benefits.”
At the opening event Mark Beaumont will cycle the circuit and meet with guests, including members of the local community, who will also have the chance to cycle the circuit too. A programme will be developed over the coming months and the facility’s initial timetable will be revealed soon so that people, clubs and groups can see when they can access it and what sessions will be on offer to them.
Fife Cycle Park secured funding contributions from sportscotland and the Scottish Government’s Regeneration Capital Grant Fund.
Did you know?
- Fife Cycle Park will open at a special event on 23rd May 2018 and will be Scotland’s first purpose built cycle circuit.
- The circuit is a tarmac road, built to ‘A Road’ standard that allows for a full range of cycling activities to take place in a traffic free environment all year round.
- The total distance of the road is around 1.6km; offering various circuit layout options within this of 1.6km, 1km, 500m and 250m.
- Customers will be able to choose from a variety of circuit configurations with several groups or sessions using the facility at the same time.
- The facility will provide opportunities for all ages and abilities to be physically active on a bike through to top level coaching and training opportunities.
- Fife Cycle Park will attract regional, Scottish and British Championship events.
- The circuit will be open all year round and available for daytime, evening and weekend use.
- The on-site Club House will also be a focal point for wider community activity.
- The overall cost of the project is £2.4m. Fife Council secured grant funding of £300,000 from sportscotland and £300,000 from the Scottish Government Regeneration Capital Grant Fund.
Tel: 01592 26 65 17 Contact Judy Hamilton online
By Post: Fife council, Fife House North Street, Glenrothes,KY7 5LT