Reminder - Help for school children and low income families
Published: Monday 30 Jul 2018 by Fife Council
Free school meals & school clothing grants - don't miss out!
WITH just over two weeks of the school holidays left, Fife Council is reminding families on low incomes to apply for free school meals and help towards buying school clothing.
The council has automatically re-awarded grants to over 4,000 families and has written to around 3,000 more identified as being eligible, to let them know they can now apply for these grants for the 2018-19 financial year.
Councillor Fay Sinclair, convener – education and children’s services committee, said: “Thousands of Fife pupils will now receive £100 for school clothing, with 4000 being automatically awarded the school clothing grant and 3000 more being contacted proactively by Fife Council to let them know they may be eligible.
“Sadly too many children in Fife are living in poverty and too many families are finding it hard to make ends meet. If you’re entitled to this bit of help, please make sure you apply.
"The £100 grant is a significant increase from the £55 previously offered in Fife and is testament to the strong partnership working between the council and Scottish Government to enable this new minimum level of financial support to be made available.
“Don’t forget to apply for the school clothing grant separately if your child automatically gets free school meals because they’re in P1-3.”
Check eligibility and apply online at www.fifedirect.org.uk/schoolbenefits
If you don't have a computer or mobile device with an internet connection, you could use a public access PC at any community library and some local offices. Libraries also run taster sessions to help you with the basics of using a computer if it’s new to you.
If you need help completing the application form, contact the Benefits & Council Tax Team online at www.fifedirect.org.uk/contactrevenues or call 03451 55 11 55.
If you don’t already receive Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction you will need to provide evidence of your income. To qualify for free school meals and school clothing grant, you must receive one of the following:
- Income Support
- Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based)
- Employment and Support Allowance (Income Related)
- Child Tax Credit only with annual income below £16,105
- Child Tax Credit & Working Tax Credit with annual income below £6420
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration & Asylum Act 1999
- Universal Credit including those with a take home of pay of up to £610 per month
- Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit with annual income below £16,105 (school clothing grant only)
- Long Term Incapacity Benefit (school clothing grant only)
- Widows Allowance if not in full time employment (school clothing grant only)
Contact Revenues Enquiries online
Fay Sinclair, Councillor
Tel: 07885 447252 Contact Fay Sinclair online
By Post: Fife council, Fife House North Street, Glenrothes,KY7 5LT