Active Travel Week 20th - 24th May
Archived news: published on Monday 20 May 2019 by Fife Council
HOW DO YOU ROLL?
During Active Travel Week, we aim to encourage sustainable and active travel choices. Help us raise awareness of the positive benefits of more active ways to complete your journey.
- Kids – hate walking to school?
- Parents – hate the congestion at the school gate or not getting a parking space?
- School staff – hate not being able to park where you work?
Do something different this week and see if it de-stresses your trip. Walk, cycle, scoot, roller blade, skateboard, park and stride?
However you choose to roll, help us raise awareness of positive lifestyle choices which will create attitude and behaviour changes amongst pupils, parents and school staff.
Throughout the week, we’ll be checking out some of the projects that are going on in and around our schools that encourage active travel and promote health and wellbeing.
If you make a change this week and find an alternative way to rock up to school which has health benefits, we want to know about it. Send us a photo or clip of how you are travelling actively this week (No pictures of people please - it's your method of travelling). If you’re under 16, you’ll need to ask a parent or guardian to do this for you.
Tweet your pictures using #fifeactiveschools or tag us @FifeActiveSch to give us permission to repost on our social media channels.
REMEMBER: BE ACTIVE; BE CREATIVE; BUT BE SAFE
It's worth knowing:
- That a generation ago 70% of us walked to school – that number is now less than half
- It's been proven that children and young people who do some form of exercise before school do better in class because they arrive refreshed, fit and ready to learn
- During morning peak traffic times, one in five cars on the road are taking school children contributing to congestion, air polloution and carbon emissions
- In addition to the physical benefits, making an active journey to school has been shown to increase independence of participants, teaching them valuable life skills
- Active travel to school can increase concentration by up to four hours.
Tel: 03451 55 55 55 + Ext 40 14 56 Contact Leanne Reid online
By Post: Rothesay House Rothesay Place Glenrothes Fife KY7 5PQ