Privacy Notice

This Privacy Notice explains how we use the information that we collect about you.


Fife Health and Social Care Partnership provides health and social care services for the people who live and work in Fife. The services that we provide are governed by the requirements of health and social care legislation including:


  • Public Bodies (Joint Working) (Scotland) Act 2014
  • National Health Service (Scotland) Act 1978
  • Adult Support and Protection (Scotland) Act 2007
  • Adults with Incapacity Act 2000
  • Social Work (Scotland) Act 1968
  • Health (Tobacco, Nicotine etc. and Care) (Scotland) Act 2016.


Fife Health and Social Care Partnership uses the information provided by you in order to help us deliver health and social care services.


We hold and process the information you have given us on the basis that it is necessary for us to carry out our statutory obligations/public tasks.


The personal information we gather and use includes:

  • Contact (Name, address, email, phone)
  • Age/DOB
  • Health/Disability
  • Racial or Ethnic Origin
  • Identifiers - for example reference numbers used in data collection systems to identify you.
  • Information about other members of your household.
  • Details of family relationships in and outside of your household.
  • The names and contact details of your close relatives and / or carers.
  • Details of your legal status and documents (e.g. immigration, power of attorney etc.)
  • Details about your accommodation (type, layout, details of alarms fitted, accessibility etc.)
  • Details about your needs in all areas of your life (e.g. personal care, eating and drinking, practical tasks, physical and emotional well-being, parenting)
  • Details of any communication needs (e.g. if you need an interpreter or a translator).
  • Any cultural, spiritual or religious beliefs where we need to take these into account when providing support.
  • Your medical history and details of any diagnoses.
  • Details of the health, social care or other services you are receiving.
  • Details of the goals you wish to achieve relating to your social care needs.
  • Information about the support provided by any carers or other agencies.
  • Details of any risks.
  • Information about your situation given to us by your family and / or carers.
  • Things that other organisations (such as health or other care services) tell us to help us understand your situation and needs, and to co-ordinate your care services more effectively.
  • Reports relating to your situation and the care you are receiving.
  • Any documents sent to us relating to you.
  • Marital Status


To enable us to provide the services that you need, we may share information about you with other organisations, for example, partners that we commission to provide care and support, such as home care agencies or care homes. We may also share your information to support related legislative requirements such as accident reporting, complaints, duty of candour, or the prevention and detection of crime.


We may also receive information about you from:

  • Police
  • NHS
  • Third Parties
  • Scottish Government
  • UK Government
  • Department for Work & Pensions


We collect information in several different ways:

  • Details that you provide to us on paper forms, over the phone, by email or using online forms, or in face-to-face meetings such as assessments and reviews.
  • Information provided to us by people in other agencies, for example NHS Fife, care providers and support organisations such as charities or voluntary agencies, GP's or other medical professionals.
  • Details provided by your family, or other carers.
  • In some cases information may also be provided by other partner agencies such as Police Scotland, Scottish Ambulance Service, or other public bodies.


The information that we collect is used to help plan and deliver health and social care services in Fife. These services include:

  • All adult and older people Social Work Services.
  • Community health services, for example district nursing, physiotherapy and mental health services; children's community health services such as health visiting.
  • Housing services which provide support services to vulnerable adults and disability adaptations.
  • Some services which are provided in hospital for example medical care of the elderly.


The Council will not keep your information for longer than is necessary. In some instances the law sets the length of time information has to be kept. The Council has a retention schedule which sets out how long we hold different types of information. This can be found here

Further information on how your information is used and why can be found at The Council's Data Protection Officer can be contacted at:

An assessment is where we look at your needs with you.  Then look at Services available that may meet those needs.

If we think you need an assessment we will give you an appointment with a member of social work staff.  You can bring a friend or relative or someone else to speak on your behalf to the appointment.

The Assessment

When someone asks for a social work service, we call this a referral.  Various people can make a referral for you, or you can refer yourself. Contact to us can be by phone or by writing to us.

  • Self-referral 
  • Relatives or carers can refer
  • Health professionals e.g. your GP can refer
  • The Department’s Service Partners can refer e.g. voluntary organisations
  • The court or court system can refer.
  • Charges - There is no charge for the assessment.

How Long does the Assessment process take?

The time needed for an assessment depends on your needs and circumstances.  If your needs are complex we will need information from yourself and others.  This may take more than one visit before the assessment is complete.

What are the reasons for assessment?

We provide services to a wide range of people with a range of needs.  These include:
  • people suffering from dementia;
  • older people with a disability;
  • people affected by substance misuse;
  • young people and children;
  • people affected by blood borne viruses; and 
  • We communicate with family and friends, who act as carers for the people requiring a service.

We ensure that services are available to those in greatest need and at high risk.  To ensure a fair process is in place for everyone we work with criteria and priority.

Our social workers follow published eligibility criteria and prioritise people's needs.  Needs are met through the use of available resources. If you qualify for a service a specialist worker will be in touch.

The eligibility criteria

It is important that the council use resources to support people in most need.  We try to support an individual's independence where possible.  The eligibility criteria helps us make this happen.

The eligibility criteria for adult social care

The Government have issued a criteria framework for us to work with. It ensures a fair and consistent approach when dealing with the needs of adults over the age of 16.  This framework is in place across the country for people who need social care support.

Fife Council uses the framework and considers a person's independence when doing so.

What affects a person's independence?

People may need help with social care and health to achieve important goals in their life.  This allows people to remain independent for longer.

These could include:
  • Being healthy, safe and well;
  • Exercising choice and control;
  • Personal dignity and respect; and
  • Making a positive contribution to family and community life.
  • The four bandings of the eligibility criteria are - low, moderate, substantial and critical.

The first three, substantial, moderate and low bandings describe the level of need required.  These also describe how this might affect the person's independence.

The critical band describes situations when a person’s independence is most at risk.  Within the critical banding, it is vital that we meet their needs so they can live a safe and independent life.

This eligibility criteria only applies to social care needs and services.

These services may include:
  • long term care;
  • care at home;
  • day care;
  • respite care; or 
  • providing equipment and adaptations.
  • Who will receive services?

At present the Council are focussing on people who have critical or substantial needs.  We can offer advice and information to everyone.

For further information please see the publication below.


Social Work Enquiries
Tel: 03451 55 15 03 Contact Social Work Enquiries online
Go Top
This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. For more information read our privacy policy.