Fireworks licensing


A person (or company) storing explosives, including fireworks, requires a storage licence. Fife Council has responsibility for administering storage licences within Fife, in relation to quantities of no more than 2000 kg of explosives and only for explosives that are not subject to an explosives certificate.


Storage licence for fireworks

  • The least expensive licence covers storage of up to 250 kg of hazard type 4 fireworks.
  • You can apply for a licence to cover up to 5 years.
  • In some cases you may not need a licence – for example if you only store up to 5 kg of fireworks or if you only store the fireworks for up to 24 hours.

Please note if you have an existing registration for the storage of explosives, this will remain valid until it expires.


Registered Firearms Dealers please contact Police Scotland.

For a licence to store explosives other than the above, please contact the Health & Safety Executive.


Licence renewals

Renewed licences will be valid from the date of expiry of the previous licence and will remain in force for up to 5 years as per the application.


New licences

These will be valid from the date the licence is authorised by Fife Council and will remain in force for up to 5 years as per the application.

Download an Application form for a Storage Licence (PDF format).

Download an Application for a Dispensation on the Prohibition of use of Fireworks during Night Hours.


Please return your completed application form, any documents required and a cheque made payable to 'Fife Council' to cover the fee, to Trading Standards Team, Economy, Planning & Employability Services, Kingdom House, Kingdom Avenue, Glenrothes, KY7 5LY or pay online at - go to £ Pay section.


Important notes

There are restrictions on the dates when fireworks can be sold:

  • 15 October to 10 November.
  • 26 December to 31 December.
  • On the 1st day of the Chinese New Year and the three days immediately preceding it.
  • On the day of Diwali and the three days immediately preceding it.

If you are planning to sell fireworks outside these periods of the year, you may also need a Licence under the Fireworks Regulations 2004.

You will need to complete an Application for a Dispensation on the Prohibition of use of Fireworks during Night Hours if you are planning a late night display or celebration.

Please note: the onus to renew any existing registration or licence before it expires is the responsibility of the person who submitted the original application for a registration or licence.

No reminder letter to renew a licence will be issued by Fife Council.


Restrictions on sales

It is an offence:

  • To store fireworks on unlicensed premises. Only persons with fixed premises can be registered.  Fireworks cannot be sold at market stalls, car boot sales or other temporary sales points.
  • To sell fireworks to a person under 18 years of age. The maximum penalty for selling fireworks to anyone under age is a £5,000 fine.
  • To sell caps, cracker snaps, novelty matches, party poppers, serpents and throw-downs to a person under 16.
  • The following fireworks must not be supplied to the general public:
  • Air bombs, aerial shells, aerial maroons, shell-in-mortar and maroons-in-mortar.
  • All bangers including "batteries" containing bangers, such as chinese crackers.
  • Mini rockets.
  • Fireworks with erratic flight e.g. ground spinners, jumping jacks, squibs.
  • All Category 4 fireworks or any other firework which does not meet BS 7114 or EU equivalent.


Fireworks Regulations 2004

The regulations state suppliers of fireworks to the public must display in a prominent position an A3 sized notice stating:

"It is illegal:

to sell adult fireworks or sparklers to anyone under the age of 18.

for anyone under the age of 18 to possess fireworks in a public place".


It is your responsibility to ensure you are aware of and complying with the regulations covering the storage of explosives.

The licensing authority may visit your premises before granting a licence. The authority may prohibit storage of explosives at the site if it believes the site is unsafe. It may also take enforcement action if you are not storing safely.



Trading Standards
Tel: 01592 583141 Fax: 01592 583318 Contact Trading Standards online
By Post: Kingdom House Kingdom Avenue Glenrothes Fife KY7 5LY
Go Top

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience here. If you do not want us to use cookies you can change your settings at any time.