Trusted Trader scheme
Fife Trusted Trader scheme is an online directory of local trades vetted by Trading Standards.
As a condition of membership, members have agreed to adhere to the terms and conditions. This includes a commitment to trade fairly, within the requirements of the law. Any complaints should be dealt with promptly and effectively and in accordance with our dispute resolution process.
Trusted Trader is designed to:
- Help customers avoid rogue traders
- Help customers make a more informed choice when choosing a trader
- Promote and support good business practice
10 tips for using a Fife Trusted Trader
- Find a Trusted Trader at fifedirect.org.uk/trustedtrader or contact the Trading Standards duty officer on 01592 583141.
- If a trader recommended to you from elsewhere claims to be a Fife Trusted Trader, confirm they are members at fifedirect.org.uk/trustedtrader or contact the Trading Standards duty officer.
- Before employing any trader, including a Trusted Trader, it’s always sensible to get more than one quote, to allow you to compare rates.
- When contacting a Trusted Trader, ask if they charge call out or inspection fees for diagnosing a fault. Trusted Traders are in business and are allowed to charge for their time and expertise but any fees should be made clear in advance.
- Be clear about the work you want the Trusted Trader to do – put it in writing if necessary. A misunderstanding of the work required is a common reason for disputes.
- After the work is completed, your Trusted Trader will give you a feedback form. Ask for a form if you aren’t given one.
- Complete and return your feedback form. This keeps the online feedback up to date and helps other customers choose the right Trusted Trader for their needs.
- If you prefer you can submit your feedback online. Ask the Trusted Trader to send you a link.
- Don’t let the Trusted Trader you used give feedback on your behalf.
- If you’ve used a Trusted Trader its unlikely things will go wrong but occasionally they do. If you need consumer advice contact citizensadvice.org.uk/scotland to find out your rights and how to take action.
Applying to join
We welcome applications from the home improvements, other household related trades and the motor trade.
The annual membership fee is £205 + VAT. This income covers administration costs and marketing. Membership of the scheme is renewable on 1st April each year. A pro-rata amount will be charged for joining part way through the year.
- Request an application pack.
- Download an application form in PDF format, complete and return it to us. Ensure you include a copy of relevant documents mentioned in Section D of the application form, including any contract terms and conditions.
- Do not send any payment at this stage. Once we've received your completed application, it will go through the vetting process prior to being approved. Members must not claim membership until this is completed.
Applications should be sent to:
Trading Standards Team, Economy, Planning & Employability Services, 1st floor, Kingdom House, Kingdom Avenue, Glenrothes KY7 5LY.
Member firms are responsible for their work and Fife Council accepts no liability for work done. Customers are advised to satisfy themselves as to the suitability of any member they choose to use.
Tel: 01592 583141 Contact Trusted Trader Scheme online
By Post: Kingdom House Kingdom Avenue Glenrothes Fife KY7 5LY