Free School Meals & School Clothing Grants

We can provide free school meals and a school clothing grant of £55.00 per child if you are on a low income.

To qualify for free schools meals and school clothing grant you must be in receipt of one of the following:

  • Income Support
  • Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based)
  • Employment and Support Allowance (Income Related)
  • Child Tax Credit only with annual income below £16,105
  • Child Tax Credit & Working Tax Credit with annual income below £6420
  • Support under Part VI of the Immigration & Asylum Act 1999
  • Universal Credit including those with a take home of pay of up to £610 per month
  • Long Term Incapacity Benefit (school clothing grant only)
  • Widows Allowance if not in full time employment (school clothing grant only)
  • Child Tax Credit & Working Tax Credit with annual income below £16,105 (school clothing grant only)

If you don’t meet this criteria but your child is in P1-3, they can still receive free school meals. Free school milk will only be given if the above criteria is met.

How to Apply

Apply online

If you don’t have access to a PC or mobile device with an internet connection, you can use:

If you need help completing the application form you can contact us

  • Online:; or
  • Tel: 03451 55 11 55

Once you have made an application you will need to provide evidence to support your claim. This should be the most up to date, original, award letter for the benefit you receive.

The options for providing evidence are:

  • upload; or
  • hand in to your local office by appointment; or
  • send to the Benefits and Council Tax team at the address below.

You don't need to provide evidence of income if you already receive:

  • Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction.

Payment of School Clothing Grants

We pay school clothing grants :

  • At earliest from 15th June 2017
  • On a weekly basis thereafter.

We will only contact you if there is a problem with your application.

Reporting Changes

If your child/children receive free school meals. You must notify us of any changes to your household details, for example, if:

  • you change address
  • your child changes school
  • your child leaves school

Report a change

For more information contact the Benefits and Council Tax Enquiries Team.

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience here. If you do not want us to use cookies you can change your settings at any time.