Register your food business

There are 2 steps to registering your food business. 


All local food businesses need to register with Fife Council 28 days before they open. This is a legal requirement.

You can register for free online

Registration applies to most types of food business, including catering businesses run from home and mobile or temporary premises, such as stalls and vans.


As well as having to register your food business some businesses also need 'approval'.

Your business will need approval if you make, prepare or handle food of animal origin which is supplied to other businesses. If you solely supply to the end consumer, then you are exempt from the need to be approved.

You can apply for approval using our online form

If you are uncertain whether or not you need approval, please call us - we're here to help

Food Advice
Tel: 01592 583228 Contact Food Advice online
By Post: Fife House North Street Glenrothes Fife KY7 5LT
Go Top
This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. For more information read our privacy policy.