Alternative Sources of Support

Depending on your circumstances, there may be other sources of support available to you.

For more information see below. If you're looking for help with managing your benefits, finding work or living on a budget, click here.



Support available

Furniture or household items

You may be able to get a DWP Budgeting Loan from the Social Fund for furniture or household items if you are receiving certain benefits.

Through contacts with Women's Aid Starter Packs can also be provided to women who are moving into their own accommodation

Help support your local community and benefit the environment by buying low cost furniture and electrical appliances from re-use charities such as the British Heart FoundationCastle Furniture Project and Fife Furniture Plus.

Social media sites can be a good source of low cost furnishing/appliances, these are usually local people selling for a low price or giving away for FREE!!!

Money/debt advice

Citizens Advice & Rights Fife (CARF)provides a free, confidential and independent Money Advice service.


CARF's Money Advice Unit has a team of specialist advisers who provide, free, confidential, independent money advice and debt management options.  We deal with over 2000 enquiries each year and employ fully trained advisers to assist with all sorts of financial issues, from repossession to bankruptcy.  They can be contacted on: 03451 400094

The best way to get tailored debt help and money advice is to contact one of our expert debt advisors either via telephone, email or by completing a debt test questionnaire.

The Money Advice Service also provides free, confidential and independent advice on a broad range of financial matters including Money Advice, debt, home insurance and other financial products and services, including bank accounts.

You may be able to get a DWP Budgeting Loan  to help pay off certain debts that have been taken out pay for essentials if you are getting certain benefits.   

Money Advice Scotlandis an organisation which promotes the development of free, independent, impartial and confidential debt advice and financial inclusion. 




Scottish Financial Health Servicecan offer free impartial advice. Are you struggling to repay your debt or just want to find a balance? Scotland's Financial Health Service can help.


Fife Council's Job Clubs provides free information, advice and guidance on employment.

You can look for a job using Universal Jobmatch.

If you have a disability, you may get financial support through the DWP's Access to Work Scheme scheme.

If you are getting certain benefits, you could get a DWP Budgeting Loan from the Social Fund for expenses connected with looking for or starting work (including childcare costs). 

Digital Skills Fife

This booklet explains where you can get free access to computers and the internet in Fife, and where you can learn more about how to use them.

1. Where can I get computer access and internet?

2. Where can I improve my computer skills?

3. Where are my community job clubs?

4. Do you have computer skills and want to volunteer?

Help after starting work

If you are a lone parent, who has recently started work, you may be able to get help from the Lone Parent Discretionary Fund from the DWP for the first 6 months after your benefits have stopped. You can apply for childcare, living or unexpected costs to assist you to remain in work by contacting your local Job Centre

Front Line Fife

Multi- Agency Welfare and Money Advice and Support inc. languages and interpreter support


If you’re struggling with rent arrears, debt and issues with accessing benefits due to changes in welfare reform Frontline Fife is waiting to help you.

  • Benefits Advice & Representation
  • Money Advice
  • Housing Advice
  • Language support

Anyone needing help across Fife can email: or Ann at 01334 659391


Wise2money provides co-ordinated advice to anyone who would benefit from co-ordinated advice from more than one agency in relation to money, debt and housing advice.

This could be:

  • Assistance with claim benefits
  • Benefits entitlements affected by the changes in Housing Benefit regulations for EU nationals
  • Interpreter assistance to attend appointments with DWP
  • Rent arrears and/or benefit issues.

Anyone who needs language support with money/debt issues.

Anyone needing help across Fife can email:

Budgeting and financial education

The Council's Adult Learning service can provide support and assistance with budgeting and financial education. 



CARF have several financial inclusion projects that can assist with financial capability and other money and benefit related issues.  For more information contact our CARF Money Advice team on 0345 1400 094.


CARF also has a dedicated Pension Wise Adviser.  If you are close to, or over the age of 55, hold a defined contribution pension and want to discuss drawing pension benefits in the next six months give us a call on 0345 1400 095.


Making Justice Work

Frontline Fife can offer you co-ordinated help and advice to help your situation:

  • Housing Advice– help and advice on housing options available to you and Lay Representation in court.
  • Money Advice– Help and advice on how to maximise your money and manage your debt (including options which may enable you to keep your property)

Legal Advice– Legal help, advice and representation in court for mortgage repossession and eviction

Anyone needing help across Fife can email: or Gillian at 01592 583394.

Welfare benefit advice

The Council's Welfare Rights phone line provides information on welfare benefits and can point you in the right direction.  Telephone 0345 1400 031.

Citizen Advice & Rights Fife provides information on welfare benefits.  For information regarding benefits or your entitlements please drop into a CARF office or contact us on 0135 1400 092



If you or a member of your family have been affected by a cancer diagnosis and need help coping with the cost of living with cancer, the Macmillan Fife Welfare Benefits Partnership can help you.  You need to live in Fife, though your treatment can be delivered out with the area.


Our trained, specialist advice workers will help you identify any benefits that you may be entitled to - and, if you need us to, help you make a claim.


Why not contact us and see if we can take some of the worry out of your situation?

Fife Migrant support

Fife Migrants forum, 36 Kirk Wynd, Kirkcaldy, KY1 1EH

Daily Advice Clinic - For free advice, information, help, support and referrals to mainstream service providers

Job Club - run a weekly Job Club every Tuesday afternoon,

CARF advice clinic - a dedicated advice clinic for you, with help and advice from a Citizen Advice & Rights Fife advisor. This clinic runs once a month and you will be referred to it once you attend the daily advice clinic.

Kingdom Credit Union (collection point) -  We provide a collection point for the Kingdom Credit Union, this runs from 2-4 on a Monday afternoon. Please drop in for information on saving and loans.

To book or enquire about an activity call 01592 642927 or email

Support for Ex-servicemen/women and their families

Poppy Scotland provides and fund a variety of services to give advice, support and financial support. Call 0131 550 1557 for more information accessing support or email

The Armed Services Advice Project (ASAP) people who are serving, ex-service personnel or members of the Merchant Navy who served on a commercial vessel.


Our trained, specialist adviser provides information, advice and ongoing casework support.  We work with a wide range of organisations within and beyond the Armed Forces Community to put together the right support package for you and your family and provide advice on benefits, debt, work-related problems, consumer issues, relationships and service related matters. Call 03451 400 095 or email

Housing issues

If you have any housing issues then you should discuss these with your landlord.

Fife CouncilFife Housing AssociationGlen Housing AssociationKingdom Housing AssociationOre Valley Housing AssociatonCaledonia Housing Association, Dunedin Canmore HousingHillcrest Housing Association and Ochil View Housing Association.

You will also be able to access free, confidential and independent advice from Shelter Scotland

Home contents insurance

If you are a Fife Council tenant make sure that you are covered with a suitable home contents insurance policy means that you don't have to worry too much about the cost of replacing your belongings if they are lost or damaged.  You can get information from the Money Advice Service.

You can download an application from here home contents insurance scheme or alternatively, contact your nearest Local Office or the Housing and Neighbourhood Service on 01592 583217.

If you are a Housing Association or Housing Co-operative tenant then you should contact your individual landlord regarding affordable home contents insurance. 

Moving house

You may get a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) in certain circumstances.

You may also get a DWP Budgeting Loan from the Social Fund for removal expenses or rent in advance if you are getting certain benefits.  

Safer communities

Information on Community Wardens can be found here. 

Cold weather payments

Pensioners on Pension Credit will usually qualify for the scheme. Some people on other benefits may also qualify for a Cold Weather Payment, including:

  • Income Support
  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Universal Credit

People can find out if they are due a Cold Weather Payment by calling – 0800 99 1234.

Heating your home

Are you struggling to heat your home? 

 Cosy Kingdom is there to help! This free and impartial energy advice service is open to alltenants and homeowners and has already helped over 5,000 Fifers – why not join them?  See below for how to get in touch along with other useful contacts:

·  Cosy Kingdom on 01592 858458 Email:  Text ‘COSY’ then YOUR NAME to 88440 Website:

·  St Andrews Environmental Network on 01334 659315  Email:

·  CARF on 03451 400095 Website:

·  The Energy Saving Trust manages delivery of the Scottish Government’s schemes through the Home Energy Scotlandhotline. For telephone advice (free from    landlines and most mobiles) call 0808 808 2282 or text ‘WARM’ to 81025 for a call back.  Home Energy Scotland website.

·   Our Power, set up by Scottish social housing providers (including Fife Council), is committed to making energy costs fairer.  For further information call 0808 189 3085. Email:  Website:

To request a Cosy Kingdom, free home energy visit, please complete the attached "Do it Online" e-form:  Cosy Kingdom Referral Form.

Reducing/Re-using and Recycling

You can help the environment by limiting the amount of waste that is produced by reducing, reusing and recycling

Bus and Rail Travel

The jobcentre plus travel card is provided to those unemployed claiming Jobseekers Allowance or Universal Credit for 3-9 months (18-24 year olds) or 3-12 months (over 25s). Other benefit recipients may receive a Jobcentre Plus Travel Discount Card from 3 months of their claim and if they are actively engaged with a Jobcentre Plus adviser. Cardholders are entitled to a 50% discount on selected rail tickets and discounts on bus fares if they are:

  • Actively seeking work and engaged with a Job Centre Plus adviser
  • Not on a work programme
  • Must take 2 passport sized photographs with you

May be used at the discretion of Jobcentre Plus staff to help with the cost of travelling to an interview, training or for the first months of travelling to work.

Further information on the support available for the unemployed can be found in your local Jobcentre Plus office. See more details on how to contact your local Jobcentre Plus office.


Go Top
This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. For more information read our privacy policy.