Universal Credit

Full Service Universal Credit will reach Fife on 6 December (some households in the Tayport area were introduced on 4 November due to rollout across Dundee, and residents in KY14 6 and KY14 7 will move over in June 2018 with Perth and Kinross).

This large scale change to the welfare system aims to make claims simpler, and encourage more people into work, by replacing some benefits with a single monthly payment.

At present UC Live Service operates in Fife and this is limited to new claims from single people. From December Full Service rollout will see all new customers (couples and lone parents) claiming UC. The process for claims is explained in this Youtube video.

Many people will remain on their existing benefits unless their circumstances change. Job Centre Work Coaches will contact people in advance of the changeover to UC.

'Your Guide to Universal Credit' has been produced for Fife which explains Universal Credit, how to apply, waiting on first claim, and the support available particularly if you are in financial difficulty.

Our guides 'Keeping your Full Benefit Payment' and 'Changes to Benefit Caps' can also help.

To get online, Fife's Digital Directory details where free internet access is available. Work coaches in job centres will assist with your claim or you can call 0345 600 4272, plus you can drop in to any of Fife's community job clubs.

We understand that there may be difficulties as you wait for your first payment. Support is available - for advice on managing money, looking for work and accessing help click here.

Once you claim Universal Credit, you can choose to:

  • be paid either monthly or twice monthly; and
  • have the housing costs in their award of Universal Credit paid direct to their landlord.

These choices are available through your Universal Credit online account, and you will be offered them following the first payment, along with further information.

The direct payment of housing costs to the landlord will not cover people who have Alternative Payment Arrangements in place (where housing costs are paid directly to the landlord) although this can be put into place with agreement from DWP.



Lyndsey Maricic, Policy Officer 
Tel: 03451 55 55 55 + Ext 44 61 38 Contact Lyndsey Maricic online
By Post: Fife Council Brunton House High Street Cowdenbeath Fife KY4 9QU

Mary Williamson, Customer Service Lead Advisor 
Tel: 03451 55 55 55 + Ext 57 36 23 Contact Mary Williamson online
By Post: New City House 1 Edgar Street Dunfermline Fife KY12 7EP

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience here. If you do not want us to use cookies you can change your settings at any time.