School Transport

Approximately 13,000 pupils travel to school every year by bus or taxi transport provided by Fife Council.  For more information about school transport read our ‘Getting To School’ booklet or have a look through our FAQs below.

All queries regarding school transport should be directed to the school office during term time otherwise call our transport helpline 01592 583219 during the school holidays.

Information about Scool Transport for pupils with additional support needs can be found here.

Please click on the down arrows to reveal further information:

Am I entitled to free school transport?


Pupils who live more than one mile from their catchment primary and over two miles from their catchment high school are entitled to travel for free.  Travel passes are sent out automatically every year to entitled pupils.  If there is anything wrong with your travel pass contact the school office.  Drivers are instructed to take new pupils to school without a pass on the first day of term so they can sort out any travel pass issues at the school office.


A GIS (Geographical Information System) package is used to determine travel entitlement.  We measure the shortest available walking route between the entrance to your property to the nearest school entrance.  It is assumed that pupils are accompanied on their walk to school until they are responsible enough to walk on their own or with friends.  Please note, other online software packages used will use the centre of the road and not the footpath to measure routes.   We carefully draw the walking route by hand on the computer using the centre of the footpath.

Check one of the maps below to see if you are entitled to free transport:

RC Primary School Travel Map (Denominational)
Primary School Travel Map (Non-Denominational)
RC Secondary School Travel Map (Denominational)
Secondary School Travel Map (Non-Denominational)

Once you enter your postcode or street name in the search box, you will be asked to choose your house number or name from the drop down list.  Check the legend box on the right hand side for a description of each coloured zone on the map.  When  you click somewhere within your property an 'identify results' box will pop up.  This box offers more entitlement information.  Take care to avoid the blue pin or any labels as this will stop the results box from appearing.  See below for more details about travel entitlement categories:

 0% entitlement means you are not entitled to free transport.

33% entitlement means pupils under 14 will be eligible to receive a scholars discount but pupils over 14 are not entitled to a discount.  

100% entitlement means that you are entitled to free transport if you attend the catchment school listed.

Please call the school transport helpline number at the bottom of the map if your address falls in to the  category marked ‘Contact Council’ or if you need more information on transport entitlement.

Remember, pupils who do not meet the distance criteria can still use the school bus and pay a fare to the driver.


If you think your transport entitlement decision may be wrong contact the school transport helpline number 01592 583219 during office houses.  We will confirm your entitlelment and an exact measurement and route map can be provided if required.  However, if you are not happy with the measurment or route taken you can appeal in writing by emailing

Non-catchment pupils

The Council's position is that parents and carers have the right to make placing requests and, therefore, hold responsibility for meeting associated travel costs.  The only circumstances in which the Education Service would contribute to meeting such costs would be where a recommendation for a pupil's transfer or placement was approved, in advance, by the Service.

Pupils who move out of the school catchment will have to use a local service bus as there won’t be a school bus for them.  If you qualify for free transport as a placing request a grey travel pass can be issued which allows you to travel on local service buses.  Grey passes are only issued to pupils who meet our strict criteria. Ask your school if you qualify for transport as a placing request.  For local service bus times visit traveline (this link takes you to an external site).

School Bus Timetables

You can access your school bus timetable by going to your school web page on Fife Direct. Alternatively you can scan the QR code printed on your travel pass using a smart phone or other portable device.  A Quick Response (QR) Code is a barcode that can be read using a smartphone or another portable device which has a QR reading application.  There is a link in the QR code which takes you directly to the related web page.  For more information have a look through the FAQs below.

Am I entitled to a school transport discount?


Pupils under 14 who live between 1 and 2 miles from their catchment high school are entitled to a scholar’s discount.  This discount gives them a third off the cost of their travel to school and back. 

Check one of the maps below to see if your address is in a discount zone:

RC Secondary School Travel Map (Denominational)
Secondary School Travel Map (Non-Denominational)

Please note, discounts are only issued to pupils under 14 years old.  Pupils over 14 will not be eligible for Discounted Transport.  See below for more information on transport discounts.

Call the school transport helpline number at the bottom of the map if your address falls in to the category called ‘Contact Council’ or if you need more information on transport entitlement.


Discount letters are sent out automatically every year to the pupil’s home address if they are entitled.  This discount letter should be taken along with proof of your child’s identity to your school bus operator.  If you don't know who your school bus operator is go to your school web page via FifeDirect and locate your school bus timetable.  The bus operator details are printed at the top of the timetable.  
In order to receive the discount you will have to purchase transport in advance by buying a transport ticket for a month or a whole term.  The operator will reduce the price of your travel by a third and will claim the money back from Fife Council.   Remember, to keep your discount letter safe for the year as you will need to take it with you every time you purchase your travel ticket.  New letters are sent out every year in August if you still qualify.


Ask at your school office if you have lost your discount letter.  However, they will ask you to pay £5 for a replacement to cover administration costs.  If you have lost the travel pass you will have to contact the school bus operator to arrange for a replacement.  The operator will charge £5 for a replacement travel pass.

Additional discounts

Pupils in full time education under 16 can travel at half the adult fare to school.  Students between 16 and 18 can use their myfife card to obtain a discount on their transport costs. 

For more information about this go to Transport Scotland (this link takes you to an external site) or contact the Concessionary Travel Team on 01592 583370.

How do I get a free travel pass?

New P1 and S1 pupils

Transportation Services receive new P1 and S1 pupil details automatically every year in April so parents do not need to do anything.  However, if you are new to a school or you change address after April you will have to check with the school to make sure your details have been submitted to Transportation Services.  Transport entitlement is determined for all new P1 and S1 pupils and entitled pupils are allocated to a bus route and colour which is suitable for their address.  Travel passes are sent out automatically every year at the start of August to entitled pupils.  If there is a problem with your new travel pass in August you will still be able to travel to school.  Drivers are instructed to take all pupils in to school so they can sort out the problem at the school office on the first day.  Temporary bus passes can be issued and replacement passes ordered by the school.  Myfife cards are issued seperately from school travel passes.

Existing pupils

Pupils who already qualify for free transport will automatically receive a new travel pass every year in August as long as their details are the same.   You should report any changes to the school office, they will inform Transportation Services and we will reassess your entitlement and bus route.

Pupil changes

If a pupil changes their surname, school or address they should report it to their school office as soon as possible during term time.  Your transport entitlement will be reassessed and a new travel pass will be sent to the school if you are still entitled.

Replacement passes

Order a replacement travel pass through your school office if you have lost or damaged your travel pass.  You will be asked to pay £5 if you have lost your travel pass to cover administration costs.  A temporary travel pass will be issued and a replacement ordered for you in the meantime.

Safety and good behaviour on school transport


Pupil safety is our highest priority at Fife Council.  We regularly monitor school bus contracts to make sure operators are meeting our conditions of contract.  Vehicles are also checked for roadworthiness by other government bodies.


We only use reputable operators for school contracts and we encourage operators to use vehicles with seatbelts and CCTV where possible.   We restrict operators to using vehicles under a certain age for school contracts to ensure vehicles are roadworthy.

Seating capacity

We aim to provide a seat for every entitled pupil.  High school routes are colour coded to avoid overcrowding issues and pupils must use the coloured route that relates to their travel pass colour.  We can't change route colours so pupils can travel with their friends.  If there is a genuine problem with the route colour we have allocated ask the school to contact us to sort it out on your behalf.   Please note, fare paying pupils are not always guaranteed a seat on the school bus.


Drivers are checked to make sure they are not barred from working with children and they are a member of the PVG (Protection of Vulnerable Groups) scheme (this link takes you to an external site).

Behaviour on school transport

If your child is experiencing problems with another pupil’s behaviour on their school transport, report it to the school office.  Staff at the school will work with an officer in education to resolve the issue.

Poor behaviour on school transport

The ultimate responsibility for pupil behaviour on school transport lies with a pupil and their parents.  We ask parents and school staff to encourage good behaviour on school transport by discussing it fully with their child(ren).

Misbehaviour such as bullying, vandalism or smoking on school transport will lead to pupils being excluded from using the school bus.  Parents will be pursued by the Police or an Operator for damages caused by their child on the school bus.

Bus rules

We want everyone to be safe whilst on school transport so read the bus rules in our ‘Getting To School’ booklet.  They are designed to make your journey go smoother.

Additional school transport information

Please contact your bus operator on one of the numbers below if you would like information about bus fares or to recover lost property:


First Scotland East   

01324 602200

Prentice Westwood   

01506 871231

Festival Travel    

0131 3334231

A1 Minibus & Coach Services Ltd

01592 713443

Rennies of Dunfermline 

01383 518660

Moffat & Williamson North East Fife

01382 541159

Moffat & Williamson Glenrothes

01592 774785

Hamish Gordon

01592 620202

Bay Travel

01383 516161

Stagecoach Glenrothes

01592 610686

Stagecoach Cowdenbeath

01383 511436

Stagecoach St Andrews

01334 474238

Stagecoach Leven

01333 426038

Stagecoach Kirkcaldy

01592 642394

Stagecoach Dunfermline

01383 621249

Stagecoach Dundee

01382 614551

National Express/Explore Dundee

01382 340015

E & M Horsburgh

01506 432351

(please note you will be taken to an external website if you click on one of the operator names above).

The Winter Centre will give you information about winter travel, service disruptions and facility closures.

service changes and disruptions will give you Information on forthcoming school bus changes due to road closures.

It’s now possible to register for text/email alerts so you will always know in advance about school closures.

Call Traveline on 0871 200 22 33 for public transport information.

Transport for Pupils with Additional Support Needs

You can find out about this on their page within Supporting Children in School.


Frequently Asked Questions

Quick Response (QR) Code FAQs

FAQs to explain how to use Quick Response (QR) codes that will be printed on school travel passes in August 2014.  When QR codes are scanned it will take pupils directly to their school bus timetable.

  • Q.     What is a Quick Response (QR) Code?
    • A Quick Response (QR) Code is a barcode that can be read using a smartphone or any other portable device with a QR reading app.  The QR code has a link inside it which takes you directly to the related web page once scanned.


  • Q.     Why do I have a QR code on my school travel pass?
    • QR codes are recognised worldwide, they’re appearing everywhere since nearly half of the population owns a smartphone.  We have introduced QR codes for customers who already have a smartphone, so they can access their school bus timetable more easily.  Customers will be taken directly to their school bus timetable when they scan the QR code on the pass provided.

      If you don't have a smartphone or portable device to scan the QR code  call Transportation Services on 01592 583219 and we can post a bus timetable out to you.

  • Q.     Why should I use my QR Codes?
    • The QR code will take you directly to your school bus timetable which will be easier than trying to locate your timetable yourself by searching on your school website.  You can just view the timetable or download it to your smartphone, it's up to you.  

  • Q.     How do I scan my QR Code?
    • Firstly, you’ll have to install a QR code app on your smartphone to scan the code.  You will have to go to a 3rd party app store and download an app that suits your mobile operating system.  There are different apps depending on whether you are using an iPhone, Windows, Android or a Blackberry phone.  Go to iPhone app store, windows phone store, Google play or Blackberry app world to locate an app to scan your QR code.  Please note, some apps are free of charge but others you will have to buy so be careful.   You may be able to download apps to a laptop, iPad, tablet or desktop computer, but you will have to check with your provider.  We can’t advise on different device limitations or be able to anticipate which app will work with different operating systems.

      Once you have installed a QR code scanner on to your smartphone or computer you can use the smartphone's camera or computer webcam to scan the QR code.  Your QR code will take you automatically to your school bus timetable which is on Fife Direct. 

      Please note some devices work differently from others and not all applications will work on each device type. Check with your provider if you are having a problem.  Fife Council takes no responsibility for the application or device you use.  You can always type the URL web address from your travel pass letter into your web browser if you are having problems scanning your QR code.

  • Q.     What if my QR Code doesn't work?
    • Your QR code has been placed in a white box to make it easier to scan.  We have also printed the QR code and related URL address on the letter sent out with your travel pass.  Try using these if you are having problems scanning the QR code on the travel pass.  Please note, too much light on your travel pass may prevent you scanning the QR code.

      If you receive an error message when scanning your QR code, try scanning it again later.  Problems may occur for several reasons, we could be updating your bus timetable or there could be a problem with your internet connection.  We advise you to check your phone settings and with your service provider if you are having a problem.  If everything is ok and you are still experiencing problems try downloading a different QR code application.  Please note some apps may not work properly on your device type.  We  cannot take responsibility for the device or app you use.

      After you have carried out all the recommended checks above and you're still experiencing problems call our transport helpline on 01592 583219 and we’ll do our best to help you.  Alternatively, you can e-mail to report the problem.  Please state your name, contact details, address, school and nature of the problem, including your smartphone type and app used, so we can help you.  We will test the QR code you've been allocated and will get back to you as soon as possible.

      When your QR code takes you to the wrong timetable please let us know as we may have allocated you to the wrong school bus contract.  This can occur if we hold the wrong address for you.  Contact us in the same way as above if this occurs.  We will be able to give you the correct bus information over the phone or we could post out your school bus timetable to you.

  • Q.     What should I do if the QR code takes me to the wrong school bus timetable?
    • If you’re taken to the wrong school bus timetable please call our Transport Helpline number on 01592 583219.  We’ll be able to inform you of your correct travel details and will sort out the problem for you.  A printed bus timetable can be mailed to you if you prefer.  If you have the wrong QR code on your travel pass we will order you a new travel pass.  It will be sent to the school at the start of term.

      Please note some errors may occur if you have moved address and we haven’t been informed.  Please be aware that if your mail has been redirected and you have received the pass which was allocated for your old address the QR code may not take you to the correct school bus timetable for your new address.  Report your new address details to the school if you haven’t already told them.  If you have already reported your new address details to the school call 01592 583219.  We’ll order you a new travel pass if you’re still entitled to free transport. 

  • Q.     What should I do if I don't have a smartphone?
    • We don’t expect everyone to buy a smartphone just because we’ve introduced QR codes. 

      If you don’t have a smartphone you can still access your school bus timetable online in the same way as before.  Timetables are available on your school website at under the topic of school and school transport on the left hand side.  You can view or download a copy of your latest school bus timetable from here.

      Otherwise you can type the Unique Resource Locator (URL) printed on the back of your school travel pass letter to your web browser and it will take you directly to your school bus timetable.

  • Q.     Will I be charged for scanning my QR code?
    • Your mobile phone provider may charge you for accessing the internet using roaming data or if you go over your contracted data allowance.  Please check your contract allowances or connect to Wi-Fi before you scan the QR code.

  • Q.     What happens after I scan my QR code?
    • You’ll be connected to a document summary page which holds details of your school bus timetable and information about the file when you scan the QR code.  Your school bus timetable will be in PDF format.  PDFs are quicker to view or download and easier to read on mobile devices. 

      The document summary page will give you specific details about the bus timetable, see below for an example of the Auchmuty High School bus timetable summary page.  This page tells you the file size and how long  it will take you to download it.  File sizes and download times will vary.  It should only take about 5 to 40 seconds to download your file.  Our files are free of charge but your internet provider may charge you for connecting to the internet, so please check.  You can download the latest version of adobe acrobat reader too if you don’t have a pdf reader on your smartphone.

      Some apps may ask you to download a file document system to store your downloads if you don't already have one.  It is up to individuals if they wish to do this.  We cannot take responsibility for any contract our customers have signed up for with their service provider.

      Example summary page:

       Download School Bus Timetable: Lochty View, Finglassie, Stenton and Pitteuchar to Auchmuty High Adobe Acrobat PDF

      School Bus Timetable for the following route: Lochty View, Foxton Drive, Stenton, Finglassie and Pitteuchar to Auchmuty High. (AM1 Green travel passes, AM2 Blue travel passes, AM3 Yellow travel passes)

      File information

      File size: 146 KB

      Download Time: 56k: 21 seconds,512k: 2 seconds

      File Type:  Adobe Acrobat PDF
      If you do not have Adobe Acrobat Reader, Click here to get the latest version of Adobe Reader


      For more information contact

      School Transport
      Tel: 01592 583219 Contact School Transport online
      By Post: Fife House North Street Glenrothes Fife KY7 5LT

  • Q.     How often will my school bus timetable change?
    • School bus contracts are now awarded for 7 years.  However, bus timetables may change from time to time.  Sometimes we have to adapt routes and times on a timetable after it has been published.  Therefore, you will have to scan and download the latest version again to your mobile device.  Transportation Services will inform the school when there is a change to a school bus timetable.  We’ll ask the school to inform everyone affected by the change. 

      You may receive a message “unknown host” if your school bus timetable file is being updated.  Try again later to scan your QR code.  If you’re still experiencing problems go to the question What if my QR Code doesn’t work?  If this doesn't help you call 01592 583219 or e-mail

  • Q.     What timetable does a pupil use when they're not attending their catchment area high school?
    • Non-catchment pupils are allocated a grey travel pass for use on public service buses because there isn’t a dedicated school bus available to them.  The QR codes printed on grey travel passes are linked to  Pupils who have a grey travel pass should use the journey planner on Traveline to look up their travel options.

      Please note only pupils who meet the criteria for free transport as a placing request will receive a grey travel pass other pupils will have to pay a fare.

  • Q.     Can I obtain a printed version of my school timetable?
    • If you don’t have a smartphone or access to the internet and you‘d like a printed copy of your school bus timetable call our Transport Helpline on 01592 583219.  We’ll post a copy out to you in the mail.

  • Q.     How can I check another timetable?
    • You can view any school bus timetable you want by going to  School bus timetables are attached as a publication to each school that has a school bus.  Timetables are usually found under the topic of school and  then school transport on the left hand side menu of your school website.  Not all schools use the Council generic websites.  Schools who choose to create their own websites are responsible for making sure they upload the correct school bus timetables to their own website.

  • Q.     Will the use of QR codes on the travel passes be monitored?
    • In order to measure the success of the new QR codes last year Transportation Services carried out a short online survey.  The survey was live from 5 August 2014 until 8 September 2014.   The survey showed  that the new QR codes we introduced last year were very sucessful. 

      We record the number of times QR codes are scanned through our bitly website.  Last year there was approximately 2,600 QR codes scanned. That's more than a quarter of the pupils who received a bus pass from us.  We will continue to print QR codes on travel passes in the future since it was a sucess last year.


School Transport FAQs

List of frequently asked questions (FAQs) to help answer queries regarding school transport in Fife.

  • Q.     Am I entitled to free school transport?
    • To qualify for free transport you must live more than one mile from your catchment area primary school and more than two miles from your catchment area high school.  Transport entitlement is not means tested it is granted on distance criteria only.

      Go to the transport entitlement map relating to your school type which is on the left hand site underneath the topic "Travelling to School" to find out if your address is eligible for free school transport.

      If you wish to apply for free transport contact your school office and they will apply for transport on your behalf.  A Geographical Information System (GIS) is used by Transportation Services to assess your address.  We will advise the school about your entitlement and will order a travel pass if you are entitled. 

  • Q.     How can I find out which school catchment I live in?
    • There is a new online catchment checker available on Fife Direct visit  Choose either denominational or non-denominational option from the left hand side.  Type your postcode in to the search box and choose your house in order to find out your catchment primary and secondary school.

  • Q.     Am I entitled to a discount on my school transport?
    • If you live between one and two miles from your catchment area high school and you’re under 14 you will be eligible for the 'Scholars Discount' scheme. Transportation Services will send out a discount letter every year to entitled pupils. Pupils should take this discount letter along to their local bus station to purchase their travel.  Operators will issue a third off the cost of school transport when you present your discount letter and will claim this money back from Fife Council.  You must purchase travel in advance for either a month or a whole term to receive the discount. 


      School pupils under 16 can travel to school at half the adult fare.  Students, between 16 and 18, who are in full time employment, qualify for a 1/3 off the cost of their bus travel throughout Scotland.  The myfife card is used to obtain this discount after 1 April 2014.  The young person’s bus concession card will no longer be issued from this date.

  • Q.     Do I qualify for free transport due to exceptional circumstances?
    • If you think you have exceptional circumstances that might qualify you for free transport you should write to the Executive Director of Education & Children’s Services, Rothesay House, Rothesay Place, Glenrothes, KY7 5PQ.

  • Q.     Will my child receive free transport if I am on benefits or have a low income?
    • Transport entitlement is not means tested, it is based on distance criteria only.  Pupils are only issued free transport when they live more than one mile from their catchment area primary school or if they live more than two miles from their catchment area high school.


      If you wish to challenge the policy for school travel entitlement write to the Executive Director of Education & Children’s Services, Rothesay House, Rothesay Place, Glenrothes, KY7 5PQ.

  • Q.     Who can grant free transport if my child has health issues?
    • If your child has a problem due to poor health and they’re having difficulty travelling to school you should write to the Executive Director of Education & Children Services at Rothesay House, Rothesay Place Glenrothes, KY7 5PQ.


      Each case will be assessed on its own merits.

  • Q.     Will I be entitled to free transport if I move out of the school catchment?
    • Pupils who move out of the school catchment after starting at school might be entitled to stay at their current school as a placing request but parents will be responsible for meeting the transport costs if they are not in an advanced year.  If your child is more than half way through third year and above they may be entitled to free transport as long as the new address is over two miles and they previously lived in the school catchment immediately before the move.    


      Ask the school to apply for your free school transport as a placing request if you meet the criteria mentioned above.

  • Q.     What should I do if I disagree with my assessment for free school transport?
    • A Geographical Information System (GIS) is used to determine school travel entitlement.  We carefully draw the walking route along the centre of the pavement to measure the distance between the entrance to your property and the nearest school entrance using the shortest available walking route. 


      All walking routes are drawn using the most accurate electronic maps available from the Ordinance Survey (Master Map) and the latest aerial photography available (May 2011).  These datasets provide a consistent base for measurements to all schools in Fife.  The walk route lengths are calculated using pavements which run alongside roads rather than the road centreline to give a more accurate measurement.


      Please note, other online computer packages are not suitable for measuring school transport entitlement because they use the road network rather than the footpath network to measure distances.  Google maps calculate the walking distance using the centreline of roads (except on alleyways etc.) rather than pavements.  It is more difficult to locate properties on Google maps as the imagery used predates the property.


      If you wish to dispute your school transport entitlement decision please e-mail  We will provide a route map and measurement for your actual address.  If you think there is a problem with the route we have used let us know and we will check it again.   If you still want to dispute the route you can appeal to the Education Service.


      To appeal your entitlement decision write to the Head of Education & Children’s Services, Fife Council, Rothesay House, Rothesay Place, Glenrothes, KY7 5PQ.

  • Q.     Can I use an alternative school bus if I need to travel to a different address?
    • If a pupil wants to use a different bus route colour than their travel pass colour they will have to pay a fare to the driver.  Pupils only receive free transport between their home address and the school.  If travelling to a different address pupils can still use the school bus but they will have to pay a fare if it is a different bus route colour.


      On rare occasions a grey travel pass is issued if there isn’t a school bus available.  Grey passes are only issued to placing request pupils who have moved outwith the school catchment whilst more than third year or above.


      Education Services won’t cover the cost of transport if a pupil has to travel on a different bus due to child minding arrangements.

  • Q.     Can I still use the school bus even if I am not entitled to free transport?
    • All school buses with more than 16 passenger seats are registered as local service buses, allowing anyone to board the bus and pay a fare to the driver.  Pupils who aren’t entitled to free transport can still use the school buses and pay a fare to the driver.  However, this is only an option if there is spare capacity on the school buses.

  • Q.     How much is my bus fare?
    • You will have to contact the bus operator yourself to find out how much your bus fare is.  The price will depend on the distance travelled and could vary from year to year due to fare increases.  A contact number for your bus operator can be found at the top of your school bus timetable.  To locate your school bus timetable go to your school website and look under school and school transport mainly. 

      We have also listed operator contact numbers at the back of our 'Getting to School' booklet on Fife Direct.  Go to if you want to read our booklet. 


      Pupils aged up to 16 years old can travel to/from school at half the adult single fare.  Pupils can pay a fare every day to the driver or they can purchase travel daily, weekly, four weekly or they can buy a whole term time ticket from the bus company.

  • Q.     Can I change my school travel pass colour?
    • It is not possible to change your travel pass colour unless there’s a genuine reason.  We can’t change bus colours so pupils can travel with their friends.  


      Contact your school guidance teacher if you have a genuine reason for changing travel pass colour.  Guidance will assess the situation and may recommend a colour change to Transportation Services.  Recommendations will only be considered by Transportation if there’s space available on the requested vehicle.

  • Q.     How can I get another travel pass if it's lost?
    • Report lost travel passes to your school office,  they will order another one for you. 


      Lost travel passes will incur a £5 charge to cover administration costs and money should be paid to the school office.  School staff will issue a temporary travel pass and order another one from Transportation Services once the fee is paid.


      Lost myfife cards can be ordered in the same way.  There isn't a charge for replacement myfife cards.

  • Q.     What time is my school bus?
    • You should check your school bus timetable every year, don’t assume it will be the same as last year.  Sometimes routes, colours and times are changed by Transportation Services.


      A Quick Response (QR) code will be printed on travel passes from August 2014.  The QR code will take you directly to your school bus timetable on Fife Direct when it’s scanned using a smartphone or other portable device.


      School bus timetables can still be accessed via your school webpage as before on  We can send you a printed copy of your school bus timetable if you don’t have online access.  Call the transport helpline number 01592 583219 if you need one.


      If you are travelling outwith your school catchment and want to find out local service bus times visit  Local bus timetables are also available on bus operators’ websites. 

  • Q.     How do I get home from school if I've stayed back later?
    • If you have a free travel pass and you’ve attended an authorised after school activity, go to the school office to get one of the coloured supplementary travel vouchers.  You will need to hand over a supplementary voucher and show the driver your travel pass when using a local service bus to get home later. If you are travelling on more than one bus you will need a voucher for each leg of your journey. 


      Pupils who don’t have a free travel pass will have to pay a fare to the driver.

  • Q.     What should I do if my school transport breaks down?
    • If your bus breaks down when you're on it, just follow the instructions of the driver.  All drivers should have either a radio or mobile phone to contact their depot in emergencies.  The driver should tell you what 's happening once they have received instrucations from their depot.  If the bus can’t be fixed a replacement vehicle will always be sent to transport you to school or home.  Therefore, we recommend that you stay on the school bus. 


      The Council or the bus operator can't be responsible for a pupils safety if they decide to leave the school bus of their own accord.

  • Q.     What should I do if my school bus doesn't turn up?
    • If your bus is late, just wait at your bus stop until it comes.  It might have broken down but another bus will always be sent.   Alternatively, where available, you can get on the next bus and explain to the driver that your bus didn’t turn up.  It’s at the discretion of the driver whether he will take you to school.


      E-mail if your school bus is persistently late.

  • Q.     Why did the driver not stop for me?
    • The Driver will only stop for you if you indicate you want the bus to stop.  You should put your hand out or make eye contact with the driver to let the driver know you want to use that bus.  If you did indicate and the driver didn’t stop for you, then report the incident to the school office.  Transportation Services will contact the operator to find out why the driver didn’t stop and will report it back to the school.


      Please bear in mind there’s a legal limit on all school buses and drivers won't be able to stop and pick up more passengers if they don't have any spare seats left.  Only buses without seat belts can carry standing passengers.  When school buses are full with entitled pupils there might not be any seats left for fare paying passengers.  Fare paying passengers will have to make alternative arrangements if their school bus is full with entitled pupils.

  • Q.     How do I get back something that was left on my school bus or taxi?
    • If you have left anything on the school bus you will have to contact the operator yourself to get your property back.  Contact numbers for all of our Operators are listed at the back of our ‘Getting to School’ booklet on Fife Direct.  Go to  You can also find a contact number at the top of your school bus timetable. 

  • Q.     What should I do if there's behavioural problems on my school transport?
    • Please report all incidents of pupil misbehaviour to the school in the first instance.  If you think the school is not resolving the matter, contact Education Services on 03451 555555 extension 444220.  


      Sometimes CCTV footage can help identify who is causing issues.  However, not all school buses have CCTV.  Contact us on 03451 555555 ext 444440 and we will find out if the bus operator used a vehicle with CCTV on the day in question.  

  • Q.     Which school bus should I use when I go to high school?
    • Primary 7 pupil details are sent automatically to Transportation Services in April every year.   Entitled pupils are allocated to an appropriate school bus depending on geographic location and seat availabililty.   Bus routes are colour coded to balance numbers travelling on each bus. 


      Entitled pupils will receive a coloured travel pass every August.  The pass will have a Quick Response (QR) code printed on it.  The QR code will take pupils to their school bus timetable if scanned using a smartphone or portable device.  


      Transportation Services can advise primary 7 pupils which bus they should use for high school induction days.  However, the bus colour is only a recommendation at this point and bus numbers are finalised at the end of June. We try our best to keep pupils on the same bus as they used for induction days but sometimes we can’t avoid changing colours.

  • Q.     How can I find out if my school is closed due to severe weather?
    • School closures are announced on local radio stations, Kingdom, Forth One or Tay FM.   Alternatively, you can get information about school closures on the web at


      Sign-up to receive e-mail or text alerts to inform you if your child’s school is closed.  You will be sent a text or e-mail to tell you when the school is opening again too.  To sign up go to


      Follow us on Facebook or Twitter


      Otherwise, you can call the school closure line on 08451 551199.

  • Q.     How do I get to school when there isn't a school bus for me?
    • If there isn’t a school bus available for you contact the school office and they will arrange alternative transport for you.  Taxi transport is organised for pupils who live in rural areas when there isn't a school bus.  Please note, pupils are expected to walk up to a mile to get their primary school bus and up to two miles to get their high school bus.


      Pupils who are travelling from out-with the school catchment have to use local service buses if there isn't a bus available.  If you meet the criteria for free transport as a placing request a grey travel pass will be issued for use on service buses.  You will have to use the journey planner on to find a suitable service bus. Local bus timetables are also available on local bus operator’s websites.

  • Q.     Who should I contact if the walking route to our bus stop is icy?
    • In bad weather conditions call the Council Contact Centre on 03451 550099.  They cannot help with winter gritting routes but they will put you in contact with the appropriate local team to resolve winter gritting issues.  Please note, transport routes are categorised in to types and are gritted using a priority system.




School Transport
Tel: 01592 583219 Contact School Transport online
By Post: Fife House North Street Glenrothes Fife KY7 5LT

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience here. If you do not want us to use cookies you can change your settings at any time.