Resolving disagreements

Sometimes parents disagree and are unhappy with the decisions made in school.  When this happens parents should contact the headteacher of their child's school to discuss and resolve these issues.  If parents remain unhappy and the issue is not resolved parents can ask to speak to the Education Officer for their area.

Whilst every effort is made to resolve concerns or difficulties at school level there may be times when you feel your complaint has not been resolved.  For this reason The Education (Additional Support for Learning) (Scotland) Act 2004 as amended 2009 introduced three routes that parents of children with additional support needs may use to resolve disagreements.  These are:

  • mediation
  • dispute resolution
  • Additional Support Needs tribunals

 For more information about any of the above, please click on the relevant link.

You can also discuss mediation, independent adjudication and additional support needs tribunals with ENQUIRE.


Alistair Haldane, Education Manager 
Tel: 03451 55 55 55 + Ext 44 42 24 Contact Alistair Haldane online
By Post: Rothesay House Rothesay Place Glenrothes Fife KY7 5PQ
Go Top
This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. For more information read our privacy policy.