Renting options

Council Housing
To find out about council housing visit

Private rent 
This option is available for anyone over the age of 16 years old.

If you are thinking about private rent but aren't sure where to start, the following websites can provide you with all the information you need. 


Information about deposits

  •  Usually equal to one months rent.
  •  Payable in advance.
  •  Now held in a Tenancy Deposit Scheme and not by Landlord.
  •  Fife Key Fund may be able to help with a deposit for a private let.

Paying for a Private Let

  • Rent usually charged monthly in advance. 
  • Some Landlords will accept Local Housing Allowance. If you are in receipt of benefit you might need someone who guarantees to pay the rent for the property if you fail to pay.
  • Welfare Reform may affect how much benefit you receive.

If you are unsure of the type of agreement you have or what your rights are as a tenant, you can get more information at:

Shelter Scotland


Frontline Fife


Mortgage to Rent
The Home Owners Support Fund could help people in danger of having their home repossessed.

Your home will be bought by a Housing Association or Local Authority and you will continue to live there as a tenant.

For more information visit Home Owner's Support Fund


Mid-market renting
This aims to help people who may have difficulty accessing social rented housing or buying their own home.

Rent is lower than normal, but higher than social housing.

Benefits include:

  • Good quality homes which have been recently built.
  • Range of accommodation sizes available to suit the needs of all.
  • Housing Associations will assess all applications and the criteria can be flexible.

Housing Associations
To find out more about the Housing Association mid market rent homes and to how to apply, you can contact the Housing Association. 

To find out more information about the new developments in Fife visit Fife Council - Affordable housing in Fife.


Your Enquiry

Please give details below about the nature of your enquiry.

Send enquiry to: Housing Information and Advice (lines open 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.)

If you want to complain about the services you've received from Fife Council please click here



Your Contact Details

Please provide your preferred contact details so we can reply to your enquiry. Privacy Statement

NOTE: Do Not Alter This Field:

Go Top
This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. For more information read our privacy policy.