Housing advice for offenders

If you have a tenancy of your own and know that you could be facing a prison sentence, you may be able to keep your tenancy.

If you have a local authority tenancy

  • You may be able sign over to someone else who has lived with you for at least 6 months or sub-let your tenancy.
  • If you are in receipt of housing benefit, this may still be paid to your landlord if you are held on remand for up to 1 year.
  • If you receive a sentence longer than 13 weeks you will be asked to end the tenancy.
  • Think about security of the property, does someone else have a key, do you have any pets that will need cared for, redirecting your mail.


If you have a private let

  • Think about how long you have left on your current lease.
  • Tell your landlord you may be facing a sentence, they may be prepared to allow your tenancy to continue, if they will still receive Local Housing Allowance.


Housing Benefit

You may be able continue getting Housing Benefit or make a claim for the first time if you go to prison or on remand.

You won’t be entitled to claim Housing Benefit if:

  • You’re likely to be on remand for more than 52 weeks.
  • You’re likely to be in prison for more than 13 weeks (including any time on remand).
  • You’re not intending to return home on release.
  • You’re claiming as a couple and you’ve split up.
  • The property is going to be rented out.

You can find out more about benefits and prison on GOV.UK

Housing Information and Advice (lines open 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.)
Tel: 03451 55 00 33 Contact Housing Information and Advice (lines open 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.) online
By Post: New City House 1 Edgar Street Dunfermline Fife KY12 7EP

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience here. If you do not want us to use cookies you can change your settings at any time.