Advice for presentation of bins during high winds
On windy days, some bins, like the lighter green bin, can blow over. While this is an unusual occurrence, it can cause littering in the street. Please help us during periods of high winds by only putting your bin out when necessary. Please consider the points below.
- If you think the wind is so bad that a gust might tip the bin over then consider waiting until your next collection
- Can you store or take your recycling or landfill waste to a Recycling Point or Recycling Centre?
If your bin does need to be emptied then if possible:
- Close and secure bin lids
- Don’t put your bin out too early, but put your bin out on the morning of collection, before 6am
- Protect your bin from wind by putting your bin alongside a shelter, such as a wall or a fence, where this is possible
- If this is not practical then place bins in clusters with your neighbours’ bins
- Bring your bin in as soon as possible after collection
What Fife Council do
- If we expect that the following day will be windy then we will arrange to empty green bins earlier in the day, and other bins due for collection that day, later on. Please remember to have your green bins on the kerbside for collection by 6am as your green bin may be emptied earlier than it is normally.
- We will arrange with Parks, Streets and Open Spaces teams so that they are aware of which areas of Fife have a green bin collection, so that they can react to any littering early.