Choosing home education
"Every child has the right to an education and it is the duty of the parents of every school age child to provide that education, either by sending the child to school or by some other means."
Home Education Document, Scottish Government, Edinburgh 2007
To meet their duty to educate most parents send their child to school, but you have the right to educate your child at home. You can do this from age 5, when your child is due to start school, or you can remove your child from school once they have started.
Important points to consider:
- If you are thinking about removing your child from a school to home educate we encourage you to discuss this further. Your child’s headteacher will be happy to do this and if your child has a link Educational Psychologist they will be able to provide help and support and, if necessary, can attend a meeting with you to discuss options.
- If your child has been attending school you must seek the local authority’s consent before withdrawing your child from school. This is not necessary if your child has never enrolled in school.
- When you write to the local authority to request consent to withdraw your child you should outline proposals regarding how you intend to provide an efficient and suitable education for your child.
- The characteristics of efficient and suitable education include:
- Consistent involvement of parents or other significant carers
- Presence of a philosophy or ethos, with parents showing commitment, enthusiasm, and recognition of the child’s needs, attitudes and aspirations
- The opportunity for the child to be stimulated by their learning experiences
- Involvement in a broad spectrum of activities appropriate to the child’s stage of development
- Access to appropriate resources and materials
- The opportunity for an appropriate level of physical activity
- The opportunity to interact with other children and adults
- You are not required to have any special qualifications or training to provide your child with an appropriate education.
If you would like more information about educating your child at home please contact us.
Tel: 01592 583372 Contact Education Service online
By Post: Rothesay House Rothesay Place Glenrothes Fife KY7 5PQ