Accident Reporting for Businesses

It is a legal requirement for employers, the self-employed and those in control of premises to report certain work-related accidents, diseases and dangerous occurrences.

Who you report it to depends on the nature of your business. You can report accidents directly to the HSE or to Fife Councils Environmental Health Department.   

Where to report accidents

If your business falls into one of the following categories you should report the accident to the HSE.

  • manufacturing
  • construction sites
  • road transport
  • council premises and activities e.g. schools
  • colleges
  • hospitals
  • doctors and dentists
They can be contacted online through their website Health and Safety Executive or using the on-line form at

Incidents can also be reported to the HSE by calling the Incident Contact Centre on 0845 300 9923    (Mon to Fri 8.30-5pm) but only to report deaths and specified injuries.

All other businesses
If your business falls into one of the categories described below you can contact either the HSE or Fife Councils Food and Workplace Safety Team by calling 01592 583228.
  • shops
  • hotels and restaurants
  • food takeaways
  • cinemas
  • clubs and pubs
  • offices
  • care homes
  • leisure and sporting events as well as pop concerts
  • and many other places of public entertainment
For more information on RIDDOR, visit the HSE website.


Health & Safety Advice for Businesses
Tel: 01592 583 141 Contact Health & Safety Advice for Businesses online
By Post: Kingdom House Kingdom Avenue Glenrothes Fife KY7 5LY

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience here. If you do not want us to use cookies you can change your settings at any time.