Before recycling an item it is worth seeing if it can be reused first. Reusing waste is better than recycling because it:
- saves the raw materials and energy needed to make a new one
- is one less item to transport
- can save you money
Pass it on - Furniture charities, charity shops and the community
Furniture reuse organisations such as Furniture Plus or Castle furniture will collect reusable furniture items free of charge from your house and prepare them for reuse.
Charity shops also take a wide range of goods for reuse and you can pass on and collect items for free from some online websites. You can find out more details at the links below (these will take you to external websites)
- Furniture Plus
- Castle Furniture
- Revolve - Find a local store to buy or donate quality reused goods
- Fife Freegle - Find and pass on items to others for free!
Think how to reuse what you already have
- visit Love Your Clothes for great tips to make the most of your clothing and easy ways to make repairs
- donate items to charity
- reuse jars and tubs for storage
- remember your reusable shopping bag
- find top tips and recipes at Love Food Hate Waste
Reusable nappies are a cheaper alternative to disposable nappies. They reduce the volume of waste sent to landfill and better for the environment. Find out more about reusable nappies from the Fife Real Nappy Library.
Tel: 03451 55 00 22 Contact Recycling Helpline (lines open 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. Monday-Friday) online