NEC/myfife smartcard scheme FAQs

NEC/myfife Smartcard Scheme FAQs

Published by: Fife Council

NEC/myfife Smartcard scheme FAQs

Q.      How do I apply?

To apply for aNEC/myfife card you can contact the myfife enquiries line on 03451 55 00 66 providing your full name, address and date of birth and an appointment will be made at a local office that is most convenient for you. 

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               You must bring the required identification documentation with you so that your registration can be completed.


Q.      When will I get my card?

Fife Council and the National Card Production Centre aims to get the card out to you as soon as possible after receipt of the customer request. Typically it takes around 7 -10 working days.


Q.      What if my card is lost, damaged or stolen?

If your card has been lost or stolen you can obtain a replacement by calling myfife enquiries line on 03451 55 00 66. You will have to provide your full name, address, date of birth


Q.      What if I have a change to my details?

If your details change, for example name or address you should notify us so that we can update our customer

You can complete the MyFife Card  - Request a Change of Circumstance online form or call the myfife enquiries line on 03451 55 00 66.

To update your photograph you must make an appointment at your nearest local office.  You can do this by callling 03451 55 00 66.

 N.B  If you are under 26 and hold a Young Scot card then photgraphic proof (i.e passport, full photo driving licence or existing Young Scot card) must be provided along with proof of address to update your photograph or to amend an incorrect date of birth.                                                                                                                                                                        


                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                If you require a replacement NEC/myfife, we must have your current address to be able to post the item to you.


Q.      My concessionary NEC/myfife is about to expire, how do I renew it?

If you received your NEC/myfife card because you are over 60 years of age, you will normally receive a new card automatically a few weeks before your current card expires. There is no need for you to contact us unless you have changed address.  The new card you will receive will look slighlty diffferent to your old one as it will have no expiry date on it so there will be no need for renewing then unless they are faulty. stolen or lost,etc.  Your card will will work in exactly the same way as before.

Click here for more details about my concessionary myfife card (NEC) is about to expire, how do I renew it?



Q.      Do I need to re-apply if I move to another local authority area?

If you already have a National Entitlement Card then please contact us on 03451 55 00 66 or email so that we can transfer your details across.  You must provide your full name, current address and date of birth.  We will also require your previous address and if possible your previous National Entitlement Card number

You can still use your existing National Entitlement Card if it has not expired for concessionary travel until you receive your new card.

Please note that until you receive your new card, you may not be able to access all the benefits and services available from the myfife card.


Q.      Who operates the Scotland-wide concessionary travel schemes?

Transport Scotland - an agency of the Scottish Government.

Click here for more details about Who operates the Scotland-wide concessionary travel schemes?


Q.      I have a myfife card (NEC) for concessionary travel - where can I travel to with my card?

You can use your myfife card (NEC) to travel on any scheduled bus or coach service in Scotland (plus to/from Carlisle or Berwick-upon-Tweed) seven days a week.

There is no peak time restriction but you cannot use your card on sightseeing buses, special night service buses which charge premium fares or for bus travel within Carlisle or Berwick-upon-Tweed.

For travel further afield, check the Traveline website or Transport Scotland website for further travel information.


Q.      Am I eligible for the 'companion entitlement'?

If you have limited mobility and require to be accompanied when travelling, you can apply for a National Entitlement Card containing the companion entitlement (C+1) to allow a companion travel free of charge with you for the same journey by bus.
Click here for more details about the 'companion entitlement'?


Q.      What is the PASS hologram?

The Proof of Age Standards Scheme (PASS) is a national proof-of-age accreditation scheme introduced by the British Retail Consortium. The PASS hologram on a card indicates that the personal details of the holder have been verified, giving retailers assurance that the holder is of relevant age to buy age related goods.


Q.      How can I report fraud or misuse of the Scotland wide concessionary travel scheme?

Transport Scotland has introduced a free phone number - 0800 328 5690 - which the public can use to report fraud and misuse of the concessionary travel scheme


Q.      Will Fife Council share my information with any other agency?

When you register for a myfife card, we need to take some information from you.  We will also create a Customer Account for you. We will offer you the choice to :

  • share your basic details with the Scottish Government and it's agencies i.e Transport Scotland, the 3rd party that produces the cards and Young Scot where entitled
  • or to just allow us to hold your basic details within Fife Council and to share them with the card production company so that we can produce your card.

    Your basic details are :
  •  your name
  •  your address
  •  your date of birth
  • photograph

    Depending on who you let us share your details with will determine the services that are on your card. For example, if you let us share your details with the Scottish Government and partner agencies i.e Transport Scotland, 3rd party that produces the card and Young Scot  where entitled,  you can have :
  • PASS hologram - Proof of Age Standards Scheme on your card
  • Young Scot logo - this gives you discounts in many places across Scotland.

    If you do not wish us to share your basic details, you will still get a MyFife card but without the added benefits of Young Scot and PASS if you are under 26.

Q.      Are NEC/myfife secure?

YourNEC/ myfife card is a smartcard which means it holds the information in an encrypted microchip. This is the same technology used by banks and far more secure than the old fashioned black magnetic strip bank cards you used to have.
Click here for more details about Fife Council’s privacy statement?


Q.      Are there any terms and conditions for the NEC/myfife?

These are described in the terms and conditions leaflet.

Click here for more details about Fife Council terms and conditions for the myfife card (NEC)
Click here for more details about National Entitlement Card Programme terms and conditions for the myfife card (NEC)

Go Top

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience here. If you do not want us to use cookies you can change your settings at any time.