Fife Council provides genealogy information. We can carry out assisted searches on behalf of the customer whether they're present or not. Customers can book these searches on an hourly basis or ask for a particular search for a single event over a continuous 5 year period.
Staff will search
- Statutory Records of Scottish Births, Deaths & Marriages from the current day back to 1855
- Scottish Census Records for 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891, 1901
- Old Parish Records back to 1553
Customers can ask us to research for them and we offer taster sessions where you can learn how to do your own research from an expert.
Fees for Searches
- Particular search £5
- Assisted search/research £25 (per hour)
- How to search sessions £25 (per hour)
The Genealogy Centres also have information about other family history resources held in:
- Libraries Service
- Bereavement Services
- Local Archives
- Fife Family History Society
There are two genealogy centres in Fife - see detail below:
- St. Andrews Genealogy Centre, Registrar's Office, Local Services Centre, St. Mary's Place, St. Andrews.
- Dunfermline Genealogy Centre, Registrar's Office, City Chambers, Kirkgate, Dunfermline.
Both centres are open during normal office hours for telephone enquiries. If a customer wishes to visit, in person, an appointment is required during the following times:
- Mon, Tues, Thurs and Friday - between 10-12 and 2-4
- Wed only 10-12
Both Genealogy Centres can also be contacted by using the Contact Online link below