This service provides practical and emotional support for witnesses before, during and after a court appearance. The aims and objectives of this service is to:
- give support to witnesses
- offer court familiarisation visits
- give information on court procedures
- accompany witnesses into court to provide in court support
- offer information and advice on expenses
- offer information and advice on further support and contact numbers for other agencies
This service is provided by trained volunteers who provide support, information and assistance, prior to, during and after giving evidence at court, to victims, witnesses and families/friends in accordance with the Victim Support Scotland policy guidelines and the principles of equal opportunities.
The Witness Service can be found at the following offices:
- Kirkcaldy Sheriff Court - 01592 646391 - WitnessService.Kirkcaldy@victimsupportsco.org.uk
- Dunfermline Sheriff Court - 01383 432500 - WitnessServiceDunfermline@victimsupportsco.org.uk
Office hours 9:30 – 4 pm or 24hr answerphone is available.
Victim Support Fife
Victim Support staff and volunteers are trained to understand and recognise the practical and emotional difficulties caused by crime. Free, confidential and independent help is offered through a choice of contact methods - telephone support, home visit or office appointment - whichever suits best. Interpreting services can also be arranged if required.
- time to talk
- reassurance about reactions
- help and information about compensation claims (CICA)
- personal safety and crime prevention information
- support if the case goes to court in consultation with VIA and the Witness Service Information about other agencies
- help with criminal justice procedures
Victim Support Fife is also funded to support people experiencing antisocial behaviour and/or harassment within their community.
The service receives a large percentage of referrals from Fife Constabulary but also accept referrals from any other agency provided the client has given their permission for their details to be passed to the service. Self referrals are also accepted. It is not necessary for the crime to have been reported to receive a service from Victim Support.
Victim Support Fife
9 Pentland Court
National Helpline Number: 0845 30 30 900
National website: www.victimsupportsco.org.uk