Birth certificate amendments
If you were born in Scotland, you can, if you wish to do so, change your forename(s) or surname(s) on your birth certificate.
NOTE - Any reference to forenames also includes any middle names.
Please see the guidance leaflet 'Recording Change of Name' available in the publications section for details of the procedure to be followed. The necessary application forms are also available within the publications section.
The cost of recording a change of name on your birth certificate is currently £40.
You can also contact a Registrar from one of the Registration Offices listed below for further advice and information:
- Cowdenbeath Customer Service Centre
- Cupar Customer Service Centre
- Dunfermline Customer Service Centre (City Chambers)
- Glenrothes Customer Service Centre (Fife House West)
- Inverkeithing Civic Centre (Tue & Fri only)
- Kirkcaldy Customer Service Centre
- Methil Customer Service Centre
- St Andrews Local Office (closed Tue & Thur)
Registration of births, deaths, marriages and civil partnerships (lines open 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.)
Tel: 03451 55 00 77 Contact Registration of births, deaths, marriages and civil partnerships (lines open 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.) online