Adopted roads are those which are managed and maintained by Fife Council (Roads and Transportation Services) no matter who owns the ground on which the road is constructed.
You can search for adopted roads in Fife using the map on this page below.
The register of these roads is called the List of Public Roads which is available for the public to inspect at Bankhead Central, Glenrothes (contact details below).
Roads which are not adopted are Private Roads and are the responsibility of the owner/frontager(s).
The owner of a road can make an agreement with Fife Council to adopt and maintain it. Road Adoption Agreements fall into two types:
- For roads constructed from 1985 to the present day, the developer enters into a Construction Consent agreement with Fife Council which sets down the extent of the roads to be adopted and the standards to which they will be constructed. Once the developer has satisfied the standards required, the roads will be added to the List of Public Roads.
- For roads constructed before 1985 but which are not already adopted, the owners/frontagers can enter into an agreement to improve the road at their own expense to an adoptable standard set by Fife Council. Once the road achieves this standard it can be added to the List of Public Roads.
By letter to:
Roads & Transportation Services
Assets, Transportation and Environment
Letters are normally responded to within 10 working days.
The following enquiry types can often be answered within one working day depending on whether a site visit is required:
- by telephone to 03451 555555 Ext 444 387
- by e-mail to email@example.com
- in person to Roads & Transportation Services, 1st Floor, Bankhead Central, Bankhead Park, Glenrothes, KY7 6GH.
If a plan of an adopted area is required then there may be a charge of £40. This entitles the enquirer to a maximum A3 size plan at a scale of between 1:200 and 1:2500. The charge for a plan of a larger area or where more than one plan is required will be determined on a case by case basis and agreed with the enquirer in advance. In all cases payment must be made before the information is provided.
Search for adopted roads in Fife: