Data Protection - Request for Information

The Data Protection Act 1998 (DPA) applies to personal data held by an organisation.  The Act allows people 12 years of age and over, to find out what personal information is held about them and why it is held by making a Subject Access Request (SAR). Personal data is any information which is capable of identifying a living individual e.g. name and address, audio or video recording, CCTV image, email address, postcode, photograph etc.  A SAR can include both electronic information and paper records.


If you want to make a request for your own personal data, we need the following information to allow us to process your request:


Your name & address – you can provide an email address, however you must be aware that we cannot confirm security once this leaves the Fife Council network.  We send all hard copy responses via royal mail recorded delivery service and these will require to be signed for on receipt.


Description of the information you require – please provide us with as much detail as possible, so that you receive the information you require.  If you know the Service that holds the information you require, advise us of this and this may speed up our response to you.


Proof of ID – We do this in various ways:


If you are already in communication with a local authority officer, such as a Social worker, or a teacher, then they can confirm your identity. We require them to confirm you are the named person making the request by email to from their work email account.  Also if you are in contact with a council Officer, please advise us of this contact when making your request.


Once we receive your request, we will provide an acknowledgement advising you to take your proof of ID to a local office, school, or to this team at Fife House.  Alternatively you can hand in your letter bringing with you the relevant ID.


The ID we require to view is a document with your photograph, such as passport, driving license and another document showing your address, such as a utility bill, bank statement etc.


We DO NOT require to take a copy of these documents, please do not send these documents to us via mail or email.


Once we receive your valid request and your proof of ID, we have 40 calendar days to provide the information to you.  Fife Council receives a large amount of these types of requests, however we endeavor to provide a response to you as soon as possible after receipt of your valid request.


If you want to make a request on behalf of a third party, such as:


A Solicitor on behalf of a client, we do not need ID, however we do require a consent mandate from your client.  Please provide this along with your request.


A parent – Scottish Law allows parents to request information relating to their child until the age of 12, we may require proof of parental rights unless an Council Officer can confirm this.  If your child is 12 or over, we will require to be provided with consent from your child.  We do this by requesting a teacher discusses the matter with your child and assists them in completing the relevant mandate.


A family member – you can request information relating to a family member, such as an elderly parent as long as you have power of attorney for that individual, or the data subject is able to provide consent.


If you have any queries on whether you have the rights to request personal data, please contact us.  Team contact details are shown below.


There is no charge for the first SAR made by a data subject to Fife Council.  However repeat requests, particularly detailed requests or multiple requests made over a short period of time, may incur a small charge (£10). Notification of any fee will be made when we acknowledge your request.


You can also make a SAR by email - send your request to or by letter - send your request to:

Information Mgt & Request Team, Fife Council, Fife House, North Street, Glenrothes, Fife, KY7 5LT.

If you have any queries relating to making a Subject Access Request, please contact the Information Management & Request Team by calling:

01592 583530 or email us at, alternatively you can write to us at:


Information Management & Request Team

Fife House


Fife Council KY7 5LT

You can use this online form to request access to information held about you:

Information Requests Online

If you have difficulty viewing the information request form, open it in a new browser window


Complaints/Internal Review

If you are not satisfied with the way in which the Council has handled your Subject Access Request, you may wish to request a review of the decision.  Please write to: Head of Legal Services, Finance & Corporate Services, Fife House, North Street, Glenrothes, KY7 5LT or e-mail to


You are entitled to submit a request for review within three months of receiving the response to your Subject Access Request or from the date you submitted your request, whichever is the later date. The Council will consider whether to respond to requests for review outwith these timescales although it is not obliged to do so.



Further Information

The Information Commissioner promotes public access to official information and protects personal information. The ICO (Information Commissioner’s Office) is an independent body with specific responsibilities set out in the Data Protection Act 1998.

The ICO provides advice for individuals and organisations on a range of information issues including:

  • CCTV
  • Information sharing
  • Junk mail
  • Marketing
  • Privacy Notices
  • Spam
  • Social networking

This link will take you to the ICO website:


Where the outcome of the internal review fails to resolve the matter to your complete satisfaction you may wish to contact the Information Commissioner’s Office to raise your concern or complaint. The ICO can be contacted in writing at: Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF or telephone: 0303 123 1113 or online:


Information Requests
Tel: 01592 583530 Contact Information Requests online

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience here. If you do not want us to use cookies you can change your settings at any time.