Tell Us Once

When someone has died, a lot of things need to be done. One of these is contacting government departments and local council services.

Fife Council can do all this for you.

How the service can help you:

After the death has been registered with the registrar, several other organisations may have to be contacted and given the same information, such as:

  • Department for Work and Pensions
  • The Pension, Disability and Carers Service
  • Jobcentre Plus
  • Overseas Health Team
  • Ministry of Defence, Service Personnel and Veterans Agency
  • War Pension Scheme
  • HM Revenue & Customs
  • Child Benefit
  • Child Tax Credit & Working Tax Credit
  • Personal Taxation
  • Identity and Passport Service
  • Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency
  • Public Sector Pensions
  • Local Councils
  • Housing Benefit
  • Council Tax Benefit

Council Services can also be contacted if you ask us to do so, such as:

  • Council Housing
  • Council Tax
  • Libraries
  • Blue Badges
  • Adult Services
  • Children’s Services
  • Collection of payment
  • Electoral services
  • Fife Council Pensions
  • Grounds Maintenance, Garages / Lock-ups
  • Myfife and Concessionary Travel

To make sure the right information is given to any organisations we contact for you please bring the following information about the person who has died:

  • Their National Insurance number and date of birth
  • Details of any benefits or services they were receiving
  • Their death certificate
  • Their Driving Licence or Driving Licence number
  • Their Passport or Passport number

We may also ask you for information about:

  • Their next of kin
  • Any surviving husband, wife or civil partner
  • The person dealing with their estate (you must obtain the agreement of this person  if you are going to provide us with information about them)

Next of Kin:

If you are the next of kin, your entitlement to benefits may change, so please have your own National Insurance number to hand when you contact us.

If you are not the next of kin, or the person who is dealing with the deceased’s estate, you can still use the service if you have the authority to act on their behalf.

Please remember that it is still your responsibility to make sure that any organisation that pays you a benefit has correct and up to date information.

How you can contact us to use the service:

In person - Please use the contact details below to make an appointment to register the death. You will be offered the service automatically, and this is usually carried out directly following the death registration. Registrar’s offices are open Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm.

By telephone - If you would like to speak to someone on the phone please call the Department for Work and Pensions on 0800 085 7308.  The lines are open Monday to Friday between 8am and 8pm. This number is free to call from a BT landline, but other providers, including mobile phone providers, may charge you. If you don’t speak English, call us on 0800 085 7308 and one of our Advisers and an interpreter will call you back and help you.

How we will treat the information you give us:

The information you give will be treated securely and confidentially.

The organisations who are contacted will use the information to update records; to end services, benefits and entitlements as appropriate; and to resolve any outstanding issues. They may use this information in other ways, but only as the law allows.

We can help you to give the information to the Department for Work and Pensions and they can pass on this information to a number of other government departments and local authority services for you.

Registration of births, deaths, marriages and civil partnerships (lines open 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.)
Tel: 03451 55 00 77 Contact Registration of births, deaths, marriages and civil partnerships (lines open 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.) online
Go Top
This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. For more information read our privacy policy.